Kotaro Horiuchi book on boat design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Guru, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Guru

Guru Honyakusha

Thank you Earl. You have given me another option. The site seems to be here:
    https://www.createspace.com/

Will explore this as well as Indiegogo.

Regards,
    Guru

2. Guru

Guru Honyakusha

Thanks to all those who replied. I am making one chapter available to you all - should I post the PDF file directly to the forum as an attachment or place it in my Dropbox and give a link here? If possible, I'd like to do the former but am not sure whether attachments are allowed here.

The chapter is Hydrofoil design.

Guru

3. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

If the PDF is 10 MB or under in file size, click the blue post reply button or on the quick reply, click go advanced and then click manage attachments to attach it to a forum post. (If it's larger than that in file size, please post a link instead.) Thanks for sharing it with the forum.

4. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

I think I understand. See if this is close: the upstream end being held firm and the downstream end is loose. In between is a boat of some kind equipped with a paddlewheel, around which in some way the rope is looped several times so that there is effective friction. The power applied to the wheel causes it to rotate. Because the relative torque from the floats vs the spindle the boat can be pulled upstream towards the fixed end. I would guess that the loose end had some sort of attachable drag inducing device if much work was to be done.

It sounds like a capstan or winch set on its side and is an interesting concept.

5. Guru

Guru Honyakusha

Yes, that's more like it. More when I actually translate a complete chapter devoted to this boat.
    Guru

6. Guru

Guru Honyakusha

Hello,
    I am attaching with this message Chapter 2 of the book LOCUS OF A BOAT DESIGNER (1) by Kotaro Horiuchi.
    Note that some final polishing work remains (replacing existing figures with clearer ones, fine tuning the layout (fonts, margins, etc.), proofing, fact verification and so on), but the chapter is generally complete.

Any constructive feedback will be gratefully received.
    Regards,
    Guru
    honyakusha@gmail.com
    Attached: PDF file
    View attachment C2.pdf