KMV 480 hull design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by D.A.L, Jul 9, 2004.

1. D.A.L

D.A.L New Member

I believe this hull design is from europe. How does it handle? Any information would be appreciated.
    Cheers.

2. Lars

Lars Mr. Trailer

The KMV is Norwegian. I have used the smaller KMV Dromedille boats myself, and they handled just fine. I have no specific information for you, but it may give you a start in our search.

3. D.A.L

D.A.L New Member

I had heard they have a 'round hull' and that they do not cut through waves very well, re-lots of pounding?

4. markham

markham New Member

I have a KMV 4.8 cc and on the contary I find the boat to be of very good design. Stable and solid and I run the boat on Georgian Bay where one does not trifal with inadequate design. I would like to know what reccomendations anyone has regarding prop size for my KMV with a BF50 Honda and running at about 5,500 R.P.M.?Markham

5. lapstrakelenny

lapstrakelenny New Member

KMV specs

Does anyone have any particulars about the 17' hardtop series with maybe a fifty or sixty horse? Re: draft, speed fuel consumption etc. or where to find such. Can't find anything on the net.

6. bobwickes

bobwickes New Member

I have owned a KMV WITH 400 since 1983, She is a lapstraked beauty with great lines, 15 feet in length, and has a 5 foot beam. She is extremely rugged and has a load capacity of 1320 pounds! I would characterize the boat as stable under all conditions. She does pound in a chop on the Chesapeake. Offshore in salt water she handles well. Weighing 455 pounds she's not a car top boat. We've powered her with a Mariner 15 HP motor which pushes her up to about 19 kph. We've kept her indoor since we got her in 1983, and she looks almost new. The Norwegians that built her said that if she were holed, she would still float high enough with 7 men in her to run the motor. That's quality.

The KMV WITH VITAL 17 will take a 55 hp motor according to my KMV literature I got with my boat. With two people aboard, the boat will do about 34 knots per hour (kph). None of these KMV WITH boats draw more than a foot or so.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  7. barentz

barentz New Member

8. MATOS

MATOS Matos

I bought a 1986 KMV in 2007 and I'm very happy with it. I gave it a 115hp Evinrude and it makes the boat very stable at cruising speeds, even though I don't push it to go too far. I has a reinforced stern, just in case. It's a family boat, and the four of us really have a great time with it. We use it mostly on Lake Erie. I really enjoy its layout and plan on keeping it for a long time. It's unnusual payout really turns heads, and gets people asking questions about it.

9. tos1

tos1 New Member

with 400

hello,
    does anyone now some specifications about the with 400
    max hp
    max persons
    weight
    maybe some performance data other then posted above
    thanks
    ted

10. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

They were built in my home town, have quite few hours in one 15' open, Handles well. I thought I l knew the designs well, but only a few weeks ago I stumbled across one (strange) KMV with deeper V shape then regulary. They're normally pretty flat bottomed, not so much as some American boats though. The "flat" (not so flat though...) bottom gives some abuse and slamming, but they were built good, have newer heard of any of them going to pieces.... Eehhhh except one..... That was not me...(tm) (my cousin...)...

Good and stable also. Still one in the family. newer had more than 30 hp on its transom though.

There is an issue with shape, design, pattern rights etc with some of the new types... Just for information...

11. mhunterfm

mhunterfm New Member

KMV 480 Max HP

i have an old KMV 480 CC that i got for free. had a cooked 50 hp Johnson that moved it ok before it died. have been running a 1968 Johnson Seahorse 40, which i also got for free, but it's very sluggish. i use this boat for moving building materials to job sites on an inland lake. i need more power. have a line on a 90 Merc that i can get a great deal on. probably a little more then i need for cruising around but for when i have materials on board i'd like to be able to plane out.
    am i crazy to put this engine on this boat.
    Matt

12. KMVCANUK

KMVCANUK New Member

Kmv 480 Cc

I just bought a 1985 -KMV 480CC and the owner told me he ran it with an 80HO Merc from new until the engine expired.

Do you know what the Maximum specifications are for this craft? Mine is missing the ID plates.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.