Kickboat - flyfishing

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ThomD, Apr 12, 2009.

1. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

Anyone see a decent design or plans for one of these? I am thinking of the raftlike catamarans that are used in rivers and lakes a fishing platforms. They tend to be powered by either swimfins, or oars. I am not interested in the ones carved from foam blocks, they aren't durable enough for the sort of use I have in mind where little bits of foam drifting off the boat would be offensive, possibly illegal.

Typically they are made of inflatible hulls, but I would probably prefer to make something like a very light ply structure, or a skin on frame, or glassed over blue foam.

This is a multihull topic I guess, but in 30 years of multihulling nobody has brought up the subject of fishing boats, so I thought I would try a general place like this.

2. Cobra1

Cobra1 Junior Member

if you build one you will loose your a$$. just go to cabelas and by one.

3. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

No cabelas around here, and I am not sure what you mean they run 500-1000 or more, one could save lots of money, and make a product that was better in a lot of ways.

4. Cobra1

Cobra1 Junior Member

5. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

6. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

US is different than around here, wood is what we do and consumer goods are what we tax into ablivion.

Funny Steve, I saw that boat on Youtube (if yu can call the 56K experience seeing), and thought it was much bigger than I guess it is. I am thinking of using 1/8" ply in a tortured format, and would have the seat quite a bit lower, but I will check his design out in any case.

I have had a design for a boat like a driftboat, except one sits on it like a bike, in mind for a while, but I am not really convinced about it quite yet.

7. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Those hulls might work for a rowed cat, but as a kick boat, the wind will use you like a gal from the Mustang Ranch. Too long, too tall, too pretty much everything for the flipper users.

They do look to be nice for a whole lot of utility applications beyond the specifics of float fishing with fins, though.... something like a calm day in the reeds, as you stand-up fish from the deck. I'd seriously consider hull wells for the tackle box and cooler, as it would be pretty easy to boot stuff like that over the side.

8. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

I was at BassPro, and the best dimensions for a non-inflatible design, borrowed from an inflatible, where 8' overall length, beam of float 18", Depth of float 12", with a lot of rocker, more than necesarry really. That yielded a displacement of 375#, claimed. A ply hull could be narrowed since the square section displaces about 30% more water, and volume could be carried to the ends more effectively.

There were provisions for wading, rowing, finning, and a motor. I have the capability to bend and machine the tubbing, but not to weld aluminum, at the moment. A bonded structure would be easier but the overall boat is a little big without some demount system.

I think the whole thing could come out of 2 sheets of 1/8" ply, and a gallon of non-premium epoxy, plus wood that is probably lying around. which is about 100-200 depending on sourcing.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.