Keeping a Mini Cooper on my catamaran

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by JonathanCole, Jun 22, 2005.

1. JonathanCole

JonathanCole imagineer

A 16 meter by 6 meter power catamaran for traveling inland waterways would be very nice if a small car could be carried and off-loaded in a variety of situations. Any ideas or experiences on how to accomplish this? Maybe there are even lighter vehicles that could be used. The key is a practical method of loading and offloading the vehicle as well as stowing it aboard.

Attached Files:

2. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Jonathan,

Just stick a handle on top of the mini and hand-carry it.

Yoke.

3. JonathanCole

JonathanCole imagineer

Why didn't I think of that?

4. Michael Chudy

Michael Chudy Yacht Designer

I hear Folding Bycicles work really well... on a 16 Meter you could probably even use one that doesn't fold. Seriously, I'm not familiar with the weight a cat of this size could handle. What's going to happen to the trim and PPI? Not to mention the insurance ramifications of storing your car on a boat?

5. JonathanCole

JonathanCole imagineer

Well let's assume

• the car weighs a ton or less.
    • it will on the aft deck.
    • it will have greater bouyancy aft to compensate for the weight.
    • it will have sufficient ballast balance for reasonable CG
    • it will have weather protection and be firmly secured to the deck
    • It will probably not have water damage insurance.

6. Skippy

Skippy Senior Member

Two thoughts: First, a short flip-up ramp that doubles as part of the coaming. Second, trucks (lorries) often have a longer plank that slides underneath the bed (deck). The flip-up can span the step between deck and plank.

7. MarkC

MarkC Senior Member

Why dont you start with a motor-scooter first? Not a 50cc nifty-shifty one (although they may be easiest and cheapest to register) but a good 150 or 200cc. Honda or Vespa. There are some funky hondas being sold now. Put a back-rack on to hold the groceries.

also - the Smart is much smaller than the mini and the Smart has amazing room inside.

I would try a scooter first.

8. yipster

yipster designer

[​IMG]
    i've been doodling for transport. inland freightships often have a crane and car on deck but it aint so easy doing that on a pleasure boat. there is a need for transport once in a new marina though. i had a small scooter like the one above till the law was chanced and only type aproved are legal now :mad:

9. jdray

jdray Paddle Guy

Maybe get yourself one of these:

Attached Files:

10. JonathanCole

JonathanCole imagineer

Yipster,

How can I found out what kind of vehicles are approved in the EU for transport on pleasure vessels?

11. JonathanCole

JonathanCole imagineer

I like the idea of sliding lightweight (aluminum/composite?) ramps underneath the deck. If they slide out and then pivot on the boat end, they could accomodate various height differentials between boat and shore/pier. This would also allow for variable length ramps which could possibly be telescoping. Perhaps they could be pulled out of their storage by an electric winch thru a pulley on shore. Although it would really be convenient if they extended out at the push of a button , with controllable angle of elevation. That might be accomplished by a set of rollers under the ramps which could hydraulically or manually be adjusted for height. Then you could back into the pier and with a one man operation prepare the ramps for offloading the vehicle.

12. yago

yago __

what European inland waterways are you targeting with a 16 by 6 m cat...? ;)

Gerd

13. yipster

yipster designer

beats me, another new law? i meant legal roadworthy for insurance etc. DMV in holland is called RDW but if that is EU law? my 1 pers lightweight fold up was fast and handy, could carry a krate full of groceries between the legs, its not the small car you want though...

14. Thunderhead19

Thunderhead19 Senior Member

15. JonathanCole

JonathanCole imagineer

Hey if this little boat can carry a 3 ton SUV, my 50 foot catamaran should be able to handle a Mini or a Smart car. Thanks for the encouragement Thunderhead.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.