KD 860 sailing catamaran

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Sailcy, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Sailcy

Sailcy Junior Member

Are there any owners report of KD860 real performance? Speed, tacking, stability... This design been around for quite a number of years now with several boats already built. Unfortunately, I can not find anything first hand experience. Are there any owners willing to share their thoughts please?

http://ikarus342000.com/KD860page.htm

2. Sailcy

Sailcy Junior Member

My previous boat was 22 ft trimaran. The constant easily achievable and comfortable speed for her was 10-12 knots with no excessive pressure on the rudder. Tacking very responsively without backing the jib, even not loosing speed noticeably, like a sport car. But it was quite wet in the cockpit. In any case I was completely satisfied with the boat's ability to do the job she designed to.
    Of course the speed and other characteristics quite subjective and depend of many factors, but I believe many sailors would agree they know their boat's abilities from their experience what the vessel is capable, what is comfortable and what is drawbacks. Usually those personal first hand experiences called sailing reports. This is what I'm after. To know the pros, cons and overall subjective impression. I will greatly appreciate any input describing KD860 first hand as this is the design I considering to build for myself.

3. Vijay Krishna

Vijay Krishna New Member

Wow there is not a single reply!
    Hello, did you build a boat? i've read somewhere that a cruiser named pete hill build his version of KD860(modified) and sailed around in it. the name of his boat was Oryx.
    You could message the designer (Bernd Kohler) on facebook.