Kayaking lizard

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by magwas, Jul 9, 2010.

1. magwas

magwas Senior Member

Yesterday afternoon I have painted the first coat of epoxy in the inside of the hull bottom of my kayak. I have choosen less than ideal time. As the temperature was low (some 10-15C), the coat is still tacky in the morning.
    The bigger problem however caused by a small lizard. It was deadly for him, and a major nuisance for me.
    Any ideas on how to handle the situation to minimize bloodshed?
    I was even thinking about drying out the poor fellow with a hairdrier and coating with epoxy, but I guess even his 3-5 mm thickness is too much to do it effectively.

Attached Files:

2. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Use your hairdryer....or better yet a heat gun and go round and round...the epoxy will soften up as it warms up and you should be able to scrape him off after a little while. You will probably need to re-coat the area afterward. You might have to lift-warm, lift-warm a few times to warm the epoxy underneath enough to let go. Use a throw-away metal spatula so you have a bit of flexibility rather than a stiff scraper.

3. magwas

magwas Senior Member

I could chisel him off with less fuss than I thought.
    Made a second layer since then, and no lizard landed in it yet.

4. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

Perhaps lizards contain a natural mold release quality? This is good info to have the next time I run out of mold wax.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.