kayak wing paddle design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by srimes, Aug 17, 2010.

1. srimes

srimes Senior Member

I've started doing a little kayaking and am attempting to go fast. I usually prefer canoeing as more civilized and comfortable, but I know I'll never be able to sprint in a canoe like I could in a kayak. I was reading about wing paddles and would like to give them a try, but they're too expensive for me, so I'd like to build one. Can anyone here help with the design/pattern of the blades?

2. Petros

Petros Senior Member

I have used all kinds of paddles with my kayaks, including a wing paddle. I do not care for them much, though they are powerful and generate a lot of thrust. The wing paddle is not as practical for general paddling since they are designed for use in driving the kayak one direction. Great for racing, but the paddles does a lot more than just push the kayak forward. For steering or bracing, or doing a roll, a good Aleut or Greenland paddle if for better.

If you are determined to make a wing paddle, they use a foil like blade section with a lot of camber, elliptical plan form (more or less) with the rounded part of the foil on the outside of the blade when you hold the paddle near vertical (thin or sharp edge toward the side of the kayak).

They generate thrust when you stab the blade in next to the gunwale and than push the blade out from the side of the paddle as you pull it back.

I prefer a native Aleut type paddle, about 7' 6" long with paddle blades that are symetrical and have a maximum width of about 5 inches, and blade length of about 33 inches. Some like the Greenland style paddle better but I do not care for it either.

Good luck.

3. srimes

srimes Senior Member

Thanks Petros. This is for racing, so it only needs to provide maximum sprint speed. For general use I like the look of greenland paddles (never tried one). I broke a cheap wood canoe paddle years ago and replaced the blade with a long narrow one and loved it. It was much nicer to use than the oversized rectangular blade.

What is paddle camber, and what is considered "a lot?"

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.