jiffy 22

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by JLIMA, Mar 12, 2014.

1. JLIMA

JLIMA crazed throttleman

I'm thinking about starting a new build. I was wondering what ya'll thought of Arch Davis' Jiffy 22 or the Jiffy V22. I like her looks but and more so on the Jiffy 22 I would be afraid of pounding because of the flat bottom. What do you guys think or do ya'll have a better option with a similar look?

2. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Probably Arch designed the JiffyV22 to avoid the pounding issues with the flat bottom 22. No doubt the V22 is a better handling boat in other than calm water.

3. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

JLIMA,
    I'm keen on the type and have been looking at Marcia (an Atkin design) for a long time. An old design and probably not easy to build.

One of the things I like about it is the LB ratio. Long and narrow with very little rocker I think promises to be much smoother riding than more typical flat bottom boats.

Hadn't seen the Jiffy 22 yet. I did a search and found no lines for the boat. Of course the only thing missing is the rocker but it's hugely important. Could be a planing hull or full displacement. There are flat bottom boats that have NO rocker. One I saw that was designed by a prominent NA called the "Flat Iron Skiff".

Another approach to the flat bottom is dories and similar designs like the many variations with lots of flare and multiple chines. Minimizing the width of the flat bottom should minimize the pounding but I think narrowing the bottom is usually done to make them more easily driven. For build simplicity a semi-dory (with square stern) with lots of flare has promise.

Interesting thing about the Jiffy is that they start the build with/from the deck. Never heard of that before.

Here's Marcia .. the Atkin design.
    http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Cruisers/Marcia.html

4. SaugatuckWB

SaugatuckWB Junior Member

I like this style of boats. I wonder about the pounding too, but sometimes just slowing down and changing you approach angle to the waves makes a big difference. Also, its a fairly narrow bottom, particularly at the bow so it might not be too much of a problem. Lots of older designs were flat bottomed and its hard to believe they all sucked. I think it would be worth the simplicity gained in building it. I'm also intrigued by building the deck first, I never thought of that but it makes sense when you think it over a bit. If I had any money, I think I'd build one.

5. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Are you certain of that, easy. Haven't seen any particulars since the National fishermen article in 1993 but what I remember is that the bottom and sole is built as a box and the rest built on that as a platform.

6. JLIMA

JLIMA crazed throttleman

It was the deck first build that got my interest really drawn in. That and i know flat bottoms tend to need less HP which should mean a little less fuel burn. I do have some time to me up my mind it's still way to cold to be doing any form of fiberglass work. I'm basically looking for a 22-28 footer in the lobster boat style that I can put my 75 Yamaha on (it's a brand new engine at only about 90 so hours) and against all reason i would like to build it. It's going to pretty much live in Buzzards Bay. I looked at Glen Ls double eagle but these were the only ones I found would any on the forum know of others? Easy I took a look at Marcia looks maybe a little beyond me atm pretty with lots of flowing "modern symmetry" I like the way she looks but not sure i could build her... Mounting the engine installing the shaft scares me a little ...

7. JLIMA

JLIMA crazed throttleman

and tom easy is right you start with the sole of the cockpit...weird

8. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

That is more in line with my fading memory from 20 years ago.

9. JLIMA

JLIMA crazed throttleman

20 years a go i was on my first sea tour ha ha

10. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

JLIMA,
    Here's another Atkin boat I like;

http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Cruisers/Tang.html

Shouldn't be any concerns about pounding w this one. Both Marcia and Tang are designed as inboards but they may be OK as outboards .. ?? I'm sure Tang is good for plywood construction and Marcia may be as well. One could move weight fwd and on Marcia perhaps double up the bottom fwd. May result in a better ride. PAR's small skiff (Clam Digger) has that treatment.

I have an 60hp Suzuki w less hours than your Yamaha on an old FG boat I don't like.

11. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

Yes it will pound, but it looks to be fairly heavy for the type so it should be comfortable at displacement speeds. A vee bottom helps if there is a great enough deadrise, but shallow vee hulls will pound if conditions are right. The power requirement for the flat bottom will be less, so its really apples and oranges. I like a 17 degree and up vee for choppy conditions. Long and narrow flat botomed boats can offer a good displacement speed ride, because more of the boat is in the water. The carolina dory would be a good example, but speed is limited as bearing aft is not great.

12. JLIMA

JLIMA crazed throttleman

Easy, I looked at a lot of Atkins I also liked the Wader and the Lapwing although I don't think I could manage to get the Lapwing built although I'm currently going to have to rebuild my workshop before I do any work on a boat.... Fracking tree blew down on it about an hour ago, so now wait for inssurance and hope my tools are mostly ok....in the mean time some Wisers on the rocks ....hope the weather is treating you guys better than it's treating Cape Cod

13. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

I think it was a different Arch Davis design, Jack Tar, which was in National Fisherman in 1993.

14. JLIMA

JLIMA crazed throttleman

You might be right on that D I thought about her too, and i know it's not the best way to go about it but i'm more or less looking for a boat that works with my preexisting engine that also more or less meets my needs (mostly fishing, recreational lobster and quahoging) I do really like the tar though and if I had an engine she'd win. I think I remember the Jiffy but with my memory you're very probably right, CRS is a terrible condition....

15. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

I live on Long Island sound, and would personally want the V22. I had not looked at it in some time, and forgotten what a nice design it is. I think it is better for the chop encountered on the sound. I have owned flat bottomed skiffs, and the trip home after the wind and waves got up can be quite miserable. The V22 also sound like a good match for your motor.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.