Islander - Seagoer

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by kolosanka, May 6, 2010.

1. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

But it is you who have contradicted Richard .

2. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Below are the Islander lines from Steve Doherty's book "The Boats They Sailed In". He includes chapters on Sea Bird and Islander. The smaller (25') Sea Bird design was created first, and the first one was launched in 1909, the plan was popular and of course many asked for something the same just larger. The Seagoer (34') design is a 1/3 scale up of Sea Bird, and was commissioned by Rudder Magazine from NA Fredrick William Goeller, Jr. Finally a 1/2 larger (approx 38') centerboard design was commissioned, to be called Naiad. All three designs were sold as a booklet (reprinted by DN Goodchild) and this what Harry was working from.

Islander is a Seagoer gaff yawl and is not 3 masted.

The design is interesting for the time due to rather light displacement for a cruising boat. I get roughly 11,000 pounds to DWL or about the same as the much smaller Seraffyn. Also of note is only 1250 pounds outside ballast, thus there was probably another 1500-2500 inside??

Islanderlines.jpg

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

Yes to the (wrong) three masted Yawl.
    No to Angeliques assumption.

And a Yawl has two masts, as a sloop has one, period.

4. liki

liki Senior Member

Tad,

would be the book happen to include lines plan and interior layout for the 25' Seabird?

5. frank smith

Then, two it is .

6. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

There's no reason to claim that who ever what ever never ever has been mistaken in anything. Maybe, if asked, Rudder and Mystic Seaport are the first to admit that ‘‘3-masted yawl’’ is a mistake. Maybe it's just a typo that is copied to all the places where the ‘F. W. Goeller, Jr. Seagoer’ is mentioned on the website. And maybe they have an explanation (that I can't think of) to make it right. I would love to hear that because that would enlarge my knowlege.

As an aside, here Nigel Irens' Roanna that some call a ‘‘3-masted yawl’’ which it isn't. But when seeing the design I can understand why some do so.

[​IMG]

Cheers!
    Angel

PS - ‘‘Then, two it is .’’ - Oops.. Sorry Frank, I saw your post only after posting so the above isn't a respond to your last post.

7. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

8. frank smith

I have heard that they end up displacing 18000 lb fully loaded. If that is the case ,then they would be under ballasted. It is also wide at the waterline ,
    and seams a poor match for the keel configuration . The hollow in the bow cant help with speed , and when overloaded would push a large bow wave . I think the are better designs for the purpose , and would lend them selves better to modern construction. But as you say it was sort of the beginning of the light disp.
    cruiser.

Frank

9. hoytedow

Ditto.:D

10. frank smith

I going to say that it was one of them schooner yawls .::p

11. frank smith

what a beautiful boat .

12. hoytedow

Indeed!

13. frank smith

[​IMG]
    A three masted yawl

14. SbirdScott

SbirdScott New Member

This is Ken Scott, owner of the Seagoer Yawl, Noe Mar. I have original and copied (2 sets) of plans from the Rudder Magazine. I would be willing to FAX or mail a copy of them to anyone wishing to build a Seagoer. I have met several friends and relatives of Harry at Wooden Boat shows in Port Townsend, WA. I live in Oregon and the Noe Mar is currently in La Paz, BCS, Mx. Check her out @ www.yawlnoemar.blogspot.com

15. frank smith

the estimates of disp. for Seagoer are 11000 -12500 lb. This is light by the standards of the day. I loaded the lines into to Freeships, as best i could based on the info I could get , and some Seagoers look to displace up to 18000lb . This is based on observable waterlines. How does the affect the performance of the boat in general?
    I am sure that it could be made lighter with modern building methods , and cost more to build. But wouldn't it be better to pick a design that was meant to carry the wight ?

F

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.