info/ideas chinese fishing boat junk styles

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by adamanderr, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

Junk Posting again?

Any Junk Sail lover need to dive this website for oriental look into gallery and chance of a used junk sale.........:):):) http://www.chinaseas.org/

China Seas Voyaging Society

CSVS NON-PROFIT

CSVS is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization established for educational and charitable purposes. Examples of services to be administered are:

* Educating the American people regarding the Chinese culture.
    * To celebrate the contributions of the remarkable ancient and modern Chinese people.
    * Provide grants and scholarships that will enhance understanding and cooperation between China, the United States of America and the global community at large.

OUR FLAGSHIP

CSVS has a ten year lease for the use of a Chinese Junk, lug-rigged motorsailing yacht, The Intrepid Dragon II. This sailing yacht was designed by H.W. Fong and J. Trovers. The yacht was built in 1969 in Hong Kong by the Woo-Ying shipyard. Built of Yucal teak, her passenger capacity is roughly fifty persons. She was the main attraction of the 1984 Tallship Parade out of Long Beach, California. In the 1985 Ancient Mariners Race from San Diego to Honolulu, she led the race for nine days.

According to her log books, the Intrepid Dragon II is a likely contender for holding the world's record for the most recorded circumnavigated miles for a Chinese Junk rigged motorsailer. Her voyages have taken her sailing from Hong Kong to the Philippines, on to Borneo, Java, Bali, the Indian Ocean and down to Durban, Capetown, across the Atlantic via St. Helena to Recife, Brazil, up the South American coast and throughout the Caribbean, then along the American east coast and even into the Hudson River. She has, in all total, made two Atlantic crossings and is currently home-ported in Honolulu, Hawaii.

picture main http://chinesejunkboats2.tripod.com/index.html
    picture 10 http://chinesejunkboats2.tripod.com/id2.html
    picture 11 http://chinesejunkboats2.tripod.com/id4.html
    picture 12 http://chinesejunkboats2.tripod.com/id6.html
    picture 14 http://chinesejunkboats2.tripod.com/id9.html

Hey guys......... I dont know if you find my posting the right stuff or wrong tell me about it at wellydeckhand@yahoo.co.id of PM me. you can give me sources of new site or post it directly to this forum with the right thread.:D:D:D

I find it hard to find local Hongkong and Taiwanese builder because they are traditional and shy of the web............. any info is a bonus guys...........:)

Wellydeckhand

Attached Files:

2. Wellydeckhand

3. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Devoted Junk site?

Welly,
    As I see you are really fond of junks, Why don't you do a devoted site to them, as I did for motorsailers? I think it would be very nice.
    Cheers

4. Wellydeckhand

Never thought of it that way:) It maybe because I seen it when I was studying 12 years in Singapore.:)

To tell the truth the present thread is sufficient. It is because there is not many research done on improving the Chinese Junk Boat. The oriental style and line is still beautiful but it seem people outdone the interior................:)

I know I am a decendant of chinese in China but am an Indonesian......... mix feeling but the Junk seem to find me and make find myself.........:)

Thanks for the advise.

Wellydeckhand

5. Wellydeckhand

San Francisco Bay Shrimp Junk Project

SAN FRANCISCO BAY SHRIMP JUNK PROJECT

http://www.nps.gov/safr/junk.html

SAN FRANCISCO BAY SHRIMP JUNK PROJECT
    Project Updates

Project Schedule

Grace Quan Sails to Sacramento Gold Rush Festival!
    Click here for more information and pictures.

Testing the Grace Quan's rig at Hyde Street Pier. Photo: Chris Jannini

Last Fall, San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park Associate Curator John Muir's crew of dedicated volunteers constructed a traditional Chinese Shrimp Junk boat, the Grace Quan, from the ground up. On Saturday, April 10, the crew raised a handmade sail on the boat's polished mast, and sailed the 40-foot vessel on her maiden voyage along San Francisco’s waterfront.

Broadside view of the Grace Quan's rig at Hyde Street Pier. Photo: Chris Jannini

San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park celebrated this historic event with lion dancers and firecrackers. Speakers included Park Superintendent Kate Richardson, California State Park Ranger Pat Robards, historian Phil Choy, and author Amy Tan (The Joy Luck Club).

BACKGROUND

From March through September 2003, the Small Craft Department of San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park, in conjunction with China Camp State Park, built a full-scale reconstruction of a hard-working San Francisco Bay Area fishing boat: a Chinese Shrimp Junk.

The Shrimp Junk taking shape at China Camp State Park. Photo: Gary Parsons.

Working from historic photographs, oral histories, and archaeological information, the largely volunteer crew, led by San Francisco Maritime NHP curator and boatbuilder John Muir, constructed the forty-two foot junk. It was built outdoors at the site of one of the largest of the Chinese Shrimp fishing villages: China Camp State Park, in San Rafael, California.

The SF Bay Shrimp Junk Project boatbuilding team constructed the junk using, as much as possible, original materials and traditional Chinese boatbuilding techniques. The team hand-forged its own nails and mixed its own caulking putty. They also used the traditional Chinese method of bending wood through the direct application of fire.

A San Francisco Bay Shrimp Junk sailing along San Francisco Waterfront, ca. 1892. Photo: SF Maritime NHP #A7.105nl.

These single-mast vessels, ranging from 30 to 50 feet in length, were built almost entirely of local redwood. The long and narrow junks plied the waters of the shallower regions of the Bay Area from circa 1860 to 1910. The fishermen worked large triangular nets staked to mudflats, and brought their catch of shrimp ashore to small fishing villages. The shrimp were boiled, dried and processed for shipment to Hawaii and Asia.

In Depth Top
    Visitor Center
    Historic Vessels/ Hyde Street Pier
    Maritime Museum
    Library/
    Research Facility
    C.A. Thayer Restoration
    Programs/
    Tours/Activities
    For Educators
    Volunteers
    Special Events
    History Spotlight
    SF Maritime
    National Park Association
    Friends of the SF Maritime Museum Library

ParkNet U.S. Department of the Interior

Attached Files:

6. BigCat

BigCat Junior Member

More on the junk rig

I sailed my old boat, the Batwing, across the Pacific. My rig was designed by Blondie Hasler. It worked really well, and I love the junk rig.

[​IMG]

Here's a big sister to Batwing that I designed.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Here's my website:

http://bigcatcatamarans.com

And here's my modernized version of the junk rig:

[​IMG]

7. SheetWise

SheetWise All Beach -- No Water.

Seeing this thread resurrected -- I'm reminded how much I miss Welly.

I love the junk rig as well. It would be interesting to do a study of original investment, material consumption, maintenance, risk, and skill requirements vs. traditional rigging to get a perspective ...

8. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.