Inflatables only: Catamaran vs Monohull

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by edsteveed, Feb 6, 2015.

1. edsteveed

edsteveed Junior Member

Yea. I get ur points. So it would be for my purpose much better to invest less in batteries but more in solar panels. The light ones.

P.S.: For the ocean: No electric ;)

2. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

My pack boats also have the option of running on solar, but it has not been worth the trouble in my applications.

Some issues with solar panels even with smaller battery backup:
    -total cost is high if most or your power will come from them.
    -getting enough surface area for 1.5 HP on these boats- maybe if used as overhead roof and bonus get shade for passengers as well?
    -the ratings on panels are normally at the maximum- facing the sun perfectly, no clouds, haze, mist, dried spray coating, bird droppings, sun angle etc.
    -considerable windage factor and center of gravity factors if mount higher as in a roof.
    -they don't work a low sun angles or at night so your travel hours and cloudy days will be restricted.

You might do a search on solar boat competitions that are held in various parts of the world. Hull shapes for competitors resemble long rowing shells. Please don't be discouraged, but you might have to adjust your performance expectations considerably downward for electric propulsion.

PC

3. TomCat75

TomCat75 New Member

Ah yes a small solar boat conversation :) One of my favorite subjects. I decided to try with a canoe. [​IMG]

4. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

5. edsteveed

edsteveed Junior Member

Yea. No system is perfect. And some might not even be worth the trouble. ;)

But for my aim it should not matter too much. Please dont forget that i also install a <6m sail on it.
    My aim is to have a boat which uses only sun and wind. Which is plenty here but of course not always and mostly not together. I dont need to break speed records but sure want to get the most out of it as possible.

According to my plan i get EASY 800W panels (8Kg) on the boat without loosing space ormake it uncomfortable. But i dont even have the boat yet.... So hard to tell.

I know about https://www.seaeagle.com but i prefer having catamaran. More stable and fast for sailing.

Stupid question i guess:
    What if i install hydrofoil plate on centerboard. Does it get the boat higher out of the water when sailing with good wind? So less resistance in the water? Or does it make it worse?

@Tomcat
    Time to go through ur site now :)

Thx again
    ED

6. JRD

JRD Senior Member

Hydrofoils have only been proven successful on the lightest and fastest of sailboats, so in this case it will probably only add drag. A structural challenge you will face in sailing an inflatable is providing fixing points for the rig and centreboard. I imagine this will require a space frame that holds both without too much flex so factor in a bit more weight. Search out other inflatable sailboats and see how they achieved this.

7. edsteveed

edsteveed Junior Member

Okay... maybe no hydrofoil... just a thought anyway. :)

Yes. I am aware of it that the sail will add more weight. Even with a frame for the sail the boat is still lighter than a solid hull plus i can fit it in a car.

I order the inflatable directly from the producer so i can give some small modifications with O-rings and so on. The frame dos not need to go through the complete boat as u can see with most other pontoon sailing-cats cz i have a aluminum floor which gives stability to the construction.
    So i might just use one pole across the hulls (connected to the aluminum floor) for the mast and maybe one for the jib. I have a construction for the centerboard in my mind already but i must see the boat first. If no centerboard i still can use a leeboard.

Is it worth changing the stern to gain more speed?

And again. THx for critics and tips.
    ED

8. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

Hope this helps.

PC

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.