Incredible design, the oviparouswoolmilkpig ?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by apex1, Mar 17, 2009.

1. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Every train station has its problems here in Italy. :D
    But it is nice. The spring has come so everything is nice - regardless of all the rest. :)
    I've seen your website. Seen some nice designs over there and the site is also done in a smart way. It says a lot about your work, but not too much - thus inviting people to ask for info. ;)

2. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Kevin: I don't know if you intended to keep the tandem wing arrangement but I think that has to be changed too. Perhaps a three masted schooner with two wing sails for hauling and reaching, which will also do a fair job on an oblique run, and the third mast primarily for radar and radio on which a spinnaker can be set for long downwind runs.

I would go further on the hull and lose the monohull-fin combination entirely in favour of a wave-piercing catamaran. Of course, the breaking wave of modifications has now caught up with and buried the original design entirely!

Did the inclusion of an engine lose us the prize?

3. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Yep. But it won you a ride back to a nearest (sufficiently deep) port on a calm night, after a calm cloudy day at sea... :D

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

Anyway we have lost the price daiquiri, we did not compete! ;) And a IC engine is not imaginative enough to win such a price.

5. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

on a tangent, but it needs to be said, italian trains are some of the best in the world, they almost always run on time, which is all we want, & they are 300% more efficient than english trains, i have mostly used only pisa, livorno, roma, but they are terrific, & 3 times cheaper than english trains

6. kjmdes

kjmdes Industrial Designer

Hi all,
    Out of town for a few days. Haven't had time to digest the conversation yet, but noticed that we lost the prize. Knew we would. I wasn't on that tack anyway. Just trying to pull out some ideas that might make the design more practical today.

On the trains: The Italian trains are fine. I lived three years in Italy, and have no complaints. Wonderful experience. My reference was to the problems locals were telling me about how they felt around some stations. There were many personal safety issues when I left, and although I am not phobic about such things, I did have some instances of being on-guard. It is a refugee issue, but I am sure it will work out fine.

Cheers,
    Kevin

7. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Fun thread. Thanks.

8. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

6 pages in is probably a little to late to add anything constructive, so I'll just say "ditto".....

however.....

Whilst we all agree that this is nothing more than a flight of artistic fancy from a bloke who's obviously been beamed up once too often, one has to wonder whether it's really all that far removed from the finalists in this years RINA World Superyacht Young Designer Awards?
    When one considers that the SOR included...

Surely RINA, as the peak design body ought to be promoting designs that have a greater grounding in reality...

(apologies, I can't easily find a pic of any of them!!:rolleyes:)

9. nikezz

nikezz Junior Member

May I request for an English pdf? Turkish is a bit difficult for the uninitiated. Thanks a bunch.

10. variverrunner

variverrunner Junior Member

Part of me is wondering if more time has been spent by everyone on this thread than the artist did, rendering what they describe as a futuristic concept. I think is more than likely, Given the fact the award is a trophy. Is it possible that this thread is taken something meant to be futuristic and critisized as though it was real? To me it is no stranger than the wierd concept cars in popular mechanics back in the 60s.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  11. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

On the topic of silly ideas from 'professionals', I came across this concept used to advertise a european composites event - omigod, would you be game to attend an event that used this concept in their advertising.

It looks like one of those 1960's oily hairdos !

Mind you, I have seen some old silly ideas too. A boating origanisation I visit is intent on repairing this 23 foot wooden boat - beautifully made from diagonal timbers, nicely shaped, efficient hull shape - but I have to bend over double to get into the cabin, and adopt a foetal position to move into the forward 'berth'. When I said something diplomatic like "whats the bloody point of this boat ?", I got some strange looks.

Attached Files:

12. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

RW - is it just my imagination, or is your location different...? (Tasmania)

Is there anyone left on BD.net that doesn't live here ???:p

13. apex1

apex1 Guest

No,

that will not happen. I don´t translate complete nonsense.

14. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Yes indeed Mr W - I have moved from Melbourne to Tassie, specifically to find a cheap place to build boats (see schoolroad.weebly.com )

I must say, when you poke around a bit, in all the sheds in farms in Tassie, it seems every second one has a major boatbuilding project going on inside, away from public view.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.