Inboard leeboards?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by W9GFO, Jan 23, 2017.

1. rower mike

rower mike Junior Member

there a Wooden Boat magazine article I know of from years back about two different pivoting dagger boards .

one was just to move the centre of lateral resistance? around when tacking? (can you tell i'm not a sailor)

the other, was for if you hit something and would let the dagger board pivot in the slot/trunk towards the stern...

picture a regular dagger board but the top half was a radiused starting up at the upper stern corner of the board and curving down to the front of the boar with the radius ending approx. at the garboard/keel line....

the dagger board cap had a similar radius... but there is just enough of a gap for a length of stretch cord to run between both the cap and the dagger board .

one end of stretch cord is expoxied/ screwed to the dagger board part way down the radius
    the other end came out of a slot at the back of the trunk then over a sheeve/pully wheel on the back end of the trunk (chaf protection) ,
    then down to a hook on the back side of the truck, the tension in the stretch cord kept the dagger board pivoted forward in the regular orientation....

if you sailed into and obstacle, the radius in the top part of the dagger board allows it to pivot backwards... and the cord pulls in back into position afterwards

though I think they said you might have to take the side force off the dagger board by altering course ...so that the cord could overcome the friction/side loading within the slot and pull it back into position....

Dagger board was also made of wood which prevented it from just sinking out of the slot.

WoodenBoat magazine has a back issue index... and sells back issues pretty cheap. pdf or hard copy article has actual pics of what i'm describing here

2. bill price

bill price Junior Member

3. bill price

bill price Junior Member

Thanks,
    Good comments ..
    BP

4. W9GFO

W9GFO Senior Member

I have decided to go with a daggerboard. Keeping it simple. Also, I think that the "inboard leeboards" or "bilgeboards" would not offer the same amount of roll damping as a daggerboard.

5. bill price

bill price Junior Member

I'm designing a 14' skiff and 32' inshore cruiser, and prefer simplicity of a Dagger Board for the 14', but P&S Chineboards for 32' due to probable damage to a DB box due to the inertia of the larger craft.
    BP

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.