I'm new, and I want to build a concept boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Schoonner, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

I love sailboats. Especially cruisers you can live on. I have a design that I will soon be making into a 3d model. I call my design a "SLumpy" design. Technically it has more than one keel. The prow also acts somewhat like a keel and will have some ballast.

Would it be too difficult to build something like this from wood covered with fiberglass?
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Wood IS stronger than fiberglass right!?! I'm new to ship building, but I understand physics a little.

EDIT:: I think it should be about 36' long and 12' wide. picture is NOT to scale, think of it being on a bar napkin. =0)

1 person likes this.
  2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Lose the ballast at the front of the boat. That is an ill advised idea. Every effort should be made to minimize the weight at the ends of the boat. That includes the weight of items that might be stored near the ends. A 36 foot boat that has a 12 foot beam is kind of fatty. Performance is not likely to be worthy of honest bragging at the yacht club bar.

Yes you can build this in wood covered with FRP.,,,, I would advise against the design but not the construction material.

3. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

The hull is probably differently shaped than you think, but then nothing is traditional on the design. Perhaps I'm wrong, but the harder it will be for the yacht to tip right or left, the more side force you can safely put on the masts/sails and therefore, the faster you can go. The design looks to me like it may be more dependent on speed in the water for the real action to happen, so I don't know how stable it really will be. Nearly two thirds of the entire hull will be 3 ft across or less. The cabin and berths will only 'look' like a normal cruiser inside. =0) I guess I should show you a picture of the bulkhead at it's widest point. I'll go make one...

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It looks like the old Walt Disney submarine in 20000 leagues under the sea. Captain Nemo would be right at home. All the lumps and edges will make it hard to build. Also, it will have a lot of drag and handle horribly. But, there is only one sure way to find out and learn: build it.

5. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

I made a wooden model. It was not easy, but I've never done a model before. Unfortunately, the glue came undone when I was testing it on the water and it needs to be completely re built from the keel up. I just started testing it with a mast and weights to see if I could get it to capsize. the model has the copper out of stripped speaker wire for a ballast and would be nearly 6000 lbs. I think that the ballast in the prow might have been causing me to think I need a bigger rudder. The following is a picture of the cross section at the widest point. I took the bottom of a triple hull fishing boat and tweaked it a LOT!

EDIT:: The blue line is just below the intended water line at the widest part.
    [​IMG]

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Do yourself a big favor and absorb the contents of "Principles of Yacht Design". It can be had in the book store here or your favorite book seller. I say this because there's so many things wrong about your design that insulting you with a list just isn't healthy. Once you have a much better handle on the reasons we shape things the way we do, the best advice you could receive is to make your first design very similar to known and proven concepts. Jumping way out on the design limb, right out of the box, is just a guarantee that you'll break it.

7. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

And this is what I thought it might do hard over in strong wind.

[​IMG]

8. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Actually ,it may be more seaworthy when inverted.

9. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

10. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Oh the internet are many free designs.

http://www.pkboatplans.com/K-39.html

I would suggest that you take one of these free designs, then redraw it with your own hand. This exercise will teach you very much .

11. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

ROFL!!! I LIKE IT!!! Then I could chase ppl away with just enough ballast to make it ride with just about the whole dorsal fin sticking out and wearing scuba gear.

12. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

Cool!! I That's perfect.

13. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

14. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

Wait, would it be more difficult to steer because it displaces water farther forward?

15. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You need an education and it would be helpful if you tossed the "Etch A Sketch" in favor of more conventional drawing tools.

[​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.