If you cant beat 'em, join them

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rwatson, Aug 14, 2008.

1. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Hey - Mr MacGregor has new competition, after all the mean things I have heard Hunter dealers say about Macs :)

http://www.huntermarine.com/Models/27Edge/27EDGEIndex.html

Looks a lot nicer than the Mac 26. But its way heavier than the Mac, although it will take 75 hp

They are even using my idea of a centred cockpit seat
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21999

I think I still like the design my NA came up with better - and the first version in Ply and Foam should be so much lighter

Attached Files:

2. eponodyne

eponodyne Senior Member

Both those boats are an abomination in the sight of the Lord. They can't do anything well besides staying tied up to the dock and looking ugly as homegrown sin. Anyone who buys one is no seaman and no lover of beauty.

[​IMG]

Look at that. Not enough wind to raise cat's paws or get all the wrinkles out of the sail; and on a broad reach, almost a run, he's heeled ten degrees. How'd you like to claw off a lee shore in that thing when the engine fails?

Ugly boats for Darwin Awards contenders.

3. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Yeah verily saith the Lord - thats true. Probably got no water ballast in it though. Even the Mac I had didnt behave that badly.

4. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Yeah, but I bet their beer is nice & cool & the view off all boats is "the same".
    Rw, how much HP are you having on yours? Regards from Jeff.

5. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Hi Jeff.

I asked Mr NA to cater for up to 75 in the design, but I plan to put just 50 on my first one.

The difference in price and the inconvenience of weight is my main reasoning.

I know the big motor makes it slower when sailing, but since the first one is a prototype, I wouldnt mind at least tuning it up against comparable boats, even if i cant beat them.

I thought I was being novel with the twin board idea, but if you look for a 'Red Fox" yacht at
    http://www.clarkeandcarter.co.uk/

you see this.
    redfox.jpg

I consider all the 'fringe benefits' of these 'god forsaken designs' a reasonable tradeoff.

6. Nojjan

Nojjan All thumbs...

Taking two good things (a real power boat and a real sail boat), combining them to make something that is poor at both aspects...I really get a headache. I wonder how many have been sold and if the customers are happy?

7. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Good question, maybe there should be a survey of the owners to find out their satifaction levels, I reckon a house boat AND a Hobie cat would be a nice pair of boats for fun & functionality. All the best from Jeff.

8. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

What a lot of people forget is that *every* boat is a compromise. Its either two big or two small. Its either too wide or two narrow. Its got too much sail or not the optimum sails. Its too expensive to keep at a marina or its too small to go around the world.

The house boat wont sail, and the Hobie wont keep you warm and dry on a beautiful lake. No one ever calls a house boat a compromise, or a Hobie a compromise, but they both have severe limitations.

There is no such thing as a 'real' sailboat or a 'real' motor boat. Every design is a selection of features that is required by the designer or owner.

Just because you dont personally value the characteristics, doesnt make it any less 'real' to someone who does.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.