Identify this boat anyone?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by anradan, Jan 12, 2009.

1. anradan

anradan Junior Member

I have recently acquired this boat (a gift from my father) and want to start researching what and where to get the parts it needs. I don't know what the boat is. I think this would be a worth while project to sink some money into.

Attached Files:

2. alex folen

alex folen Flynpig

If my father gave me a boat i'd sink some money in it.

3. eponodyne

eponodyne Senior Member

Looks like the name is "beaver" and it seems to be some sort of motorboat. Hope that helps.

4. kenJ

kenJ Senior Member

Boat restore

Can't help you with the manufacturer. I'd hire a good surveyer as the first step. Engine exposed to the snow, replace or rebuild. How much water as gotten into the bildge and frozen. Could cause all sorts of problems. Sometimes it's better to toss a "free" boat, cost less to buy one in good shape than restore one that has seen the neglect that your pictures show.

As far as ID. There should be a Hull Identification Number (HIN) stamped in the transom or side of the hull near the stern. First couple of letters will give you the maker.

5. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

I'll guess it's a 22' K&C Thermoglass, I believe these were built in BC, perhaps Vancouver.

6. eponodyne

eponodyne Senior Member

Seriously? It looks--looks like it might be a good candidate for restoration. Almost all depends on the state of the hull. It's very hard to tell but I didn't see evidence of osmosis blistering; if the core materials (if any) are in good shape, probably your best bet would be to gut the hull and refit with new (or new to you) componentry. The engine looks to be a total loss but I may be wrong, I hope I am. If nothing else it's a chance to repower with something less tired. the sterndrive will certainly need replacing if you want to keep using it as a sterndrive.

Bottom line, any boat is fixable and this one isn't as far gone as some others I've seen brought back from the brink. But let's not forget that a boat "Is a hole in the water into which one throws money until it sinks." It won't be cheap.

7. anradan

anradan Junior Member

Thanks for the replies guys.
    I want to "gutt" the hull, salvage the usable "stuff" and build a more usable deck/cabin. By usable I mean more like a floating camper. I think there is room in the bow for a bed or berth.I have seen entire boats built from scratch (WOW!), so I am thinking that it cant be that much of an undertaking. Am I wrong?

8. Commuter Boats

Commuter Boats Commuter Boats

It's a Fiberform, they were built in the 70s, somewhere in the northwest, I don't recall where ,and tried to compete with Bayliner. A small to medium-size shop has to cut a lot of corners in an effort to compete in the same market as a shop like a Bayliner. You probably don't have much there.
    Gerald

9. PortTacker

PortTacker Junior Member

Simply time and money.

My father has 4 such boats. 2 with flybridges 2 without. One has twin engines. All but one in running condition when he bought them. The most expensive one was $1200.
    All need more work and money put into them than *I* would invest, and I have built boats from scratch... Why? Resale. Never recoup much of the investment.
    But if you enjoy doing that sort of thing, and desire a boat like that, it can be a great hobby.
    Time.
    and Money.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.