Ideal average angle of heel 20-30ft LOA

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by human 1.0, Apr 8, 2011.

1. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

If you ask my wife and daughter, they both will answer 0 degrees, if it is up to me, I would not mind 35 degrees. So we have come to a compromise : we make it maximum 5 degrees.
    Why can’t a bright boat designer not come up with a spring hinge in the mast and sail at 0 degrees like a catamaran, but let the mast heel at 30 degree.

Now, this will create some hefty criticism and comment
    bert

2. human 1.0

human 1.0 Don't mess w/ Humanity

"best angle of heel is zero"

that's my point, "normalize" to heel to zero for on tack, with the mast tilted as if on a windsurfer. Design the boat for this shape, replicate the shape on the other side, and then fill in the blank, which is the rest of the boat (or ship) to taste!

I am still intrigued by the "yaw" reference as that is part of the equation. I think you might have to rotate the keel to fully manifest this idea.

3. human 1.0

My man!!!

4. human 1.0

Don't get paranoid, you are 1.0

5. human 1.0

That is why I am human.

6. human 1.0

version 0.1 evaluation

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

1.00, if you had any clue what you where talking about you's see the ridiculousness of your original question. If you can't see this, well it just confirms the previous comments of darn near every other poster as well. Either we're all wrong or you're right. Pick one . . .

8. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Bertku- You mentioned 35 deg. heel--sounds like you have you completed your build any photos---Off Topic: Presently doing a study on South African History,(history my hobby) Knew bits and pieces of it but having my eyes opened very wide with more details. Your Countrys history makes the American (U.S.) wild west look like a walk in the park certianly from the natives point of view. Fellow Newfoundlanders fought there with the British in the Boar war, for King and Country and the expansion of the Empire(to get their hands on the diamond and gold territory). Today that would include oil and in the near future fresh water Geo

9. HakimKlunker

HakimKlunker Andreas der Juengere

Attached Files:

10. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

What a pity, I thought to give some work for the designers with a new idea.
    Bert

11. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Hi Viking, Sorry to give you the bad news. I have given myself some 4 years to make this project a reality. I had some set backs. (nothing to do with this project) I am still in the phase of designing my electronics, management system (remote switching) and proper motor control. I am not planning to go through a divorce by working 18 hours on the boat, but take it easy.
    Some days, I achieve a lot, sometimes for weeks I am struggling with technical issues. But I had some very good news over the week-end while in Cape Town. Will revive "Did a dream got shattered".
    Bert

12. HakimKlunker

HakimKlunker Andreas der Juengere

Bert, designers are designers because they are ahead of us ...

(I don't understand myself to belong to this group either)

13. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

All boats which have side-to-side symmetric hulls and ballast will heel when sailing to windward or on a reach. Without side-to-side symmetry in the hull and ballast heeling is the only way a boat can develop a righting moment to counter-act the heeling moment of the rig.

Catamarans (unless they have movable ballast or other asymmetry) sail to windward or on a reach at a small, non-zero angle of heel.

14. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Small boats with hiking straps and/or trapeze can be sailed at zero or even negative angles of heel by a well trained crew.

15. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Do I misunderstood you, but #24 says it is done already. I assume that the mast heels to the one side and the keel to the other. Leaving the hull nicely at 0 degrees.:D
    Bert

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.