I would like to build this boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Fancy Shoes, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Fancy Shoes

Fancy Shoes Junior Member

I found this picture on another boat forum, the person who posted the picture knows nothing about it.

I would like to get as much info on it as possible.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Look in Scandinavia.....search classic Swedish boats, etc....designer might be C.G. Petersson

3. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Fancy ... you're a glutton for punishment, aren't you?:D

I love the look of that boat, too. But I'd never try to reproduce her as is, except as an extended art project with someone else paying the bills. And I'm speaking as a man who tends to live in the past, admiring classic designs and methods.

An updated version with the same lines but plywood sides would probably work well, though. If you're enamored of the planking lines as part of the overall look, you could use glued lapstrake plywood planking.

4. Deering

Deering Senior Member

To my eye she might look better without the planking. Ply with a thoughtful paint job emphasizing the long lines and sheer... Leave the deck and cabin bright for the retro look.

Would be a cool project, no doubt.

What are the four small things sticking out of the top of the cabin?

5. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Looks like the handrail stanchions without the handrail installed maybe. This really looks Swedish and is great candidate for more modern cold molded construction to make it light and strong.
    3 layers of 1/4" planking, two diagonal cedar and the last fore and aft mahogany tight seam, all varnished with a gold leafed sheer strake....
    Pretty simple and easy to build boat actually. The house would take a good bit of full-size mockup to get right but just another job.
    These are typically low-powered launches of maybe 40 hp and 15-18 mph.

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

That particular boat has had some revisions and repairs, the most obvious is she's had her seams wedged.

Her shape suggest she'd be an easy to plank boat, but I wouldn't recommend this as your first building project. It would be best to make your mistakes and learn the techniques on a much smaller craft, possably of the same build method. This way you can take what you've learned (typically the hard way with novice builders) and apply it to your next "work of art".

7. Fancy Shoes

You all are a bunch of help. I Really like the side planking. That is what drew me to the boat. I knew it would be a tough build. I am looking into building up to it. mainly because I dont want to jump into it full force to lose. Even though some people say that you can do anything you put your mind to.

I am really looking forward to a good test, I love challenges! And I just dont challenge myself enough.

I want to start out building 2 kayaks, and one canoe. out of strip. I know that probably would be a small step to start. however it will get me used to the tools and cutting the shapes.

I dont want to sound like any other new boat builder with full dreams who end up giving up. But I really want to do this.

I stopped by a house over the weekend of a guy who restores boats. I have passed his house so many times, and he has so many different but nice boats in his yard. He talked to me a bit about boats , and said he would help me if I had any questions.

I am glad for all the help I get knowing I am going to need every bit of it.

I am looking to figure out what tools I need, and then what lumber to use.

One question while I might have your attention, would having a wood-meizer be good, or should I just buy lumber alread cut and dried?

I will leave it at this for now. Again, Thanks for all the help.

8. terhohalme

terhohalme BEng Boat Technology

To me she looks more like Finnish runabout made in Kymenlaakso region in early 1950's. Our cottage neighbourg had very similar about 40 years ago.

9. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I love it, I'm thinking you can do it if you have some skills with wood already. Basically if you are familiar with the tools then sure, you can build anything you set your mind to. Be prepared to wreck a certain amount of wood getting things right but if your OK with a pretty huge materials bill and have the time, go for it

include pictures and prints cause that boat rocks

10. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

What lenghth do you think she is? I'm guessing that most people familiar with modern boats would guess she is larger than she is based on proportions. But I think she is runabout sized and very small in the cockpit. Cool sliding hatch and windshield. Does the windshield also fold forward as well as slide? I'm wondering if a 6'er can even sit at the helm. I guessed at about 20" between the hatch slides and went from there.

11. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Looks like 26'

12. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

...seriously preeeeety boat, have fun.

that would really be a heritage piece if you do make her.

13. Fancy Shoes

Im so glad all of you really like this boat as well. I guess my taste in wood boats is well.
    I have dont some searching for classic Swedish boats, I will start on ones from finland.

Does anyone think that any classic boat museums would be good to contact to see if they have seen and know about this particular boat?

I guess my last question would be, Who can I get to design me a boat like this if I cannot find the plans?

14. liki

liki Senior Member

You could ask from these guys: http://www.viztech.se/
    It looks like they could know a bit about the local boating history. In the meantime I will try to relocate a book that I recall reading as it had atleast a picture of a very similar boat. EDIT; Sorry, no help there. The boat was in fact quite different, looked a bit older and there were no info save for that it was photographed in Furusund, Sweden.

I think that you will also find the boat to be much longer than first anticipated, perhaps closer to 40'.

15. IMP-ish

IMP-ish powerboater

Hope someone posts what this boat is.

I'm a fiberglass boat guy, but I'd love to have this boat if I could afford it. From the picture and windshield size, bow length, registration number, bow hatch and cleat size, I would guess over 30'. 100k new?