I want to start sailing/build my sailboat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by SPI-sail, Jun 9, 2008.

1. SPI-sail

SPI-sail Total noob with a dream

I have lived near South Padre Island, Texas my whole life and have always been involved in watersports, but I have only sailed twice. I have finally decided that I need a new hobby, and sailing it is! One of my other hobbies is woodworking, so I thought I would combine the two (Ive made a poker table, gun racks, and a skimboard). I have been researching boats and boat designs for only about a week and finally found what seems to be a good boat building forum. So I need some design help and thought I would ask here by telling you guys my needs/requirements/thoughts for the boat. I'd liek to just cruise with friends, do some snorkeling, maybe an over night stay out on the water (ill be roughing it.)

-I was thinking ~12feet, I'd like to be able to take 1-3 people with me
    -be able to beach without causing damage
    -trailerable
    -have an easy to use sailing rig
    -bay riding mostly, I doubt I would venture out into the gulf, maybe when i am an experienced sailor
    -I have all the basic electric saws, drills, sanders
    -what kind of wood do I use
    -I wanted to use a proven hull design and then customize the rest of the boat
    -something I can build basic, and then add to later
    -I might want to add a small motor on the back so I would need an area for that
    -place to mount oars

Price... I was hoping to be able to do this for ~$800-$1200 (not including trailer) and it will be a long project

This is what I had in mind (just a quick sketch without the sail)
    http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/6624/scannerpic1uw1.jpg
    Sorry its sideways

Any tips or plans that are similar to what I want?

2. leuz2008

leuz2008 New Member

cheers mate! I'm on the same track and even though I just started studing two software that I've been able to download from internet at smallboatdesign.com ( I heartly suggest you to go and have a look if you don't know already) I do have an extended experience in sailing and boat maintenance from dinghies to cruise sailing boat and I actually operate during weekend siling a marauder 24 footer and I invite you over if you get the chance as in my project there is in fact the realization of my own boat but has to be for long navigation and living on board and I'm just at the start and I dont have hurry specially because I first want to realize the project with the design software. Regarding this issue I do not know anything about boat design softwares and what I downloaded last week is the google sketch up and another one but too technical Delfship and a previous one even more technical 3d software called Form Z never use this as I find the first one more simple, but if you want to share some knowledge we can keep in contact and with good luck I look forward to hear from you! ciao

3. SPI-sail

Well I'll definately keep everyone updated as my project goes on, I'm still deciding on a basic hull shape. I got some more questions...

Should I go with a rotating centerboard or a daggerboard that I can pull up vertically?

Where can I get a full sailing rig that I could install on a 12 foot dinghy and that folds down for transport?
    (all I need is the basic setup, mast, boom, mainsail, all the rope I need.)

How thick should the plywood be for the hull and what type of wood should I use?

4. leuz2008

leuz2008 New Member

mate have a look at the laser 1 and you'll find lots of answears to your questions!easy and good luck!

5. leuz2008

leuz2008 New Member

one more tip have a look at the boats built in plywood used by les glenans irish sailing club in baltimore co. cork ireland where I used to train as instructor and we talk of the same stuff you need! ciao

6. SPI-sail

Late last night I stumbled across the D4 Dinghy http://www.bateau.com/freeplans.php and I figured it would be a good boat for a beginner. It is a little shorter than I wanted at 7 feet and 10 inches but I think if I succeed at building something of this sort, and learn to sail on it, I can upgrade down the road. The only thing I don't like about the D4 is the square from end, how would I alter the plans to make it come to a sort of point? I checked out the laser and found some used ones not too far from me in the 500-1000 dollar range, but I'd still like to build.

7. messabout

messabout Senior Member

SPI-sail;

First thing, do not shaft yourself with a boat that is too small. The 7'-10 boat is not the thing for a beginner who is of adult stature. The 12 foot one may be alright but not if you expect to take one to three companions as you suggested. You can build a boat in the 15 foot range within your budget. A 15 footer is just as easy to build as a tiny little one. There is more surface to sand and paint but that is about all the disadvantage. The 15+ footer will be easier to learn to sail. Yes it will be heavier but it need not exceed 175 pounds in weight. That is easily managed from a trailer. I think that most of the experienced hands on these threads will give you similar advice. Do not build your boat too small.

There are about a zillion plans available for small sailboats of all descriptions. Your best scheme is to buy the plans from an established source. I swear that you will save money if you do. Take a look at some of the boats that are listed on the Payson web site. I suggest the one called "Gypsy" for your project. You can find builders forums for that boat and several similar ones. Google Dynamite Payson. Google Gypsy boat. It is worth the time to look at the Glen-L web site as well. These are just two sources that come to mind. There are many more. I repeat. Buy the plans from an established source. Save a lot of headaches and save money too.

8. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

I think messabout is bang on the money. Worth considering where you are on the sporty/cruising getting wet/staying dryish spectrum.

9. SPI-sail

I checked out www.instantboats.com and looked at the gypsy, and it is ideally what I would like. I was thinking to build the D4 just for building experience, but you say the difficulty level is about the same so I guess I should go with the larger boat. I see the plans for the gypsy (priced at $40) and I also see the book Build The New Instant Boats and that includes the gypsy and sever other boat designs, but does it have the plans/instructions I need?

10. SPI-sail

I just ordered Build the New Instant Boats, I will read it before I do anything next.

11. Petros

Petros Senior Member

You have a good plan, start small and once you decide what you like consider something bigger. I have built 9 small boats, all wood or wood/fiberglass, starting at age 11.

You also might see if there are some local rental yards, sailing clubs or rec departments that have small sailboats to try out and take a few lessons in first. Even find friends with small to med size boats, just to get some time on the water and under sail. By having a bit more experience with different sailboats, you can better know what you like and what kind of sailing rig you like, etc. So after spending all that time building your first boat you will more likely end up with something you like more and will keep longer.

YOu wrote:

-I was thinking ~12feet, I'd like to be able to take 1-3 people with me

12 feet is too small. I built a 14 footer and it is reasonable to only have one other in it. You should consider up to 16 feet, they are not that much more work to build and it will be way more useful of a boat.

-be able to beach without causing damage

Built it light, with a tough keel and any wood boat will be beachable. You could also consider putting a metal rub strip down the keel, it will not add much weight or cost.

-trailerable

boats up to 30 feet can be trailerable. 14-16' boats can be light enough to "car-top" presuming you have a suitable roof rack. I car top my 14 foot sloop 9 (on a roof-rack I got at a garage sale). Not having a trailer saves even more money.

-have an easy to use sailing rig

Almost all of the recreational sail boats this size have simple rigs, just stay away from the pure racing dingy rigs.

-bay riding mostly, I doubt I would venture out into the gulf, maybe when i am an experienced sailor

even a 12 footer can be rough in a bay. Consider the 15-16' size, with some ballast you could even consider venturing out into the gulf once you get some experience.

-I have all the basic electric saws, drills, sanders

That is all you should need. And clamps, lots and lots of clamps. I find a table saw essential for ripping my own stringers from larger salvaged lumber I get for free.

-what kind of wood do I use

Almost anything and everything has been used in boats, even bamboo. I like doug fir and cedar because it is locally available realativly cheap (but I have also used white oak, hemlock, pine, plywood, mahogany and sitka spruce). I think any reasonably clear and rot resistant wood is fine for a first time project (although there are some snobs that will tell you otherwise). Also 1/4" plywood is available and inexpensive for many designs.

-I wanted to use a proven hull design and then customize the rest of the boat

There are lots of good plans out there, also see the Wooden Boat magazine plans. There are even some decent plans for free off the internet (google "free sailboat plans"). Go with a popular design and customize the details.

-something I can build basic, and then add to later

This is true of almost all boats. That is what is fun about building your own. The features you can add are only limited by your imagination.

-I might want to add a small motor on the back so I would need an area for that.

Most transoms are good enough for that, or can be easily beefed up. You might want to add a stiffener pad that can be replaced as it gets beat up from the motor mount.

-place to mount oars

also a common option in a dingy.

As far as sails go, you can either buy a used set-up that is about the right size, and adapt it work on your boat; or you can have a sail shop design and sew you some sails. There are also sail kits you can order off the internet and sew your self. You can also make a sail from an inexpensive blue tarp or even Tyvek (reinforced house wrap). Use duct tape and cheap tarp or Tyvek and develop a design you like, and then pay the big bucks to have one made from Dacron.

My 14 foot sloop was made from all salvaged and remilled lumber, uses Tyvek sails and cost less than $50 in out-of-pocket costs.

Good luck, have fun.

12. SPI-sail

Read the book

Okay, so I read the book and the three I am looking at are the Gypsy, The Windsprint, and the June Bug.

The winsprint and junebug look much easier to build, and more stable out on the water, but the Gypsy seems like it would be faster. I'm really looking for stability because I will be snorkeling, so I will ahve to anchor and climb in/out through the side or back of the boat. What is the reason for the off center daggerboard? Which sailing rig is easier for a newcomer to learn on and control? Which is more suited to row and sail?

13. messabout

messabout Senior Member

If you are to be in and out of the boat, then Gypsy is not the best for the job. Gypsy is remarkably fast for a boat as simple as it is. It rows well and sails remarkably well. It is entirely stable enough for spirited sailing in moderately choppy water. It is relatively narrow and it will not be the easiest one to enter and exit while afloat. For your purpose I would choose one of the plumb sided ones that are not so shapely. Those uglier boats will still sail well enough and provide a more suitable platform for scuba work.

For sails I heartily recommend the simple sprit boomed rig as specified on Gypsy. It is adaptable to whatever boat you may choose. The reason is the utter simplicity of the rig combined with more than adequate performance. The simplicity part is the crowning feature. Such a rig has only one string to adjust, the snotter. the sail is set on a free standing mast that is free to rotate. The sheet (the rope that hauls the sail in or lets it out) can be let go and the sail will weather vane no matter which way the boat is pointed. You may simply rotate the mast to store or douse the sail. That is indeed a fine feature when , not if, you are caught in an unexpected, and overwhelming blow.

The dagger board is offset on Gypsy so that it can be extracted without running into the mast. The board, as drawn, is slanted in such a way that it would not come completely out of the case if it was on the centerline. The amount of offset that it has is of no consequence whatever. The board is slanted the way it is, so that you can have some control over the feel of the helm by fiddling with board position. Not only that, but the slanted board is easier to get out of the case when you run aground. Bolger may be crazy but he is crazy like a fox. Just do what he says to do on the plans, no matter which of his boats you might select. If you select a boat from another designer it is usually best to do what they say also. The sum of all these little nuances are the reason that I can swear to you that it is way better to get plans from an established designer.

14. diwebb

diwebb Senior Member

you may be interested in this design

Hi,
    the San Francisco Bay Pelican may suit what you are looking for.
    Also you may find the attached design of interest. It is one of mine but the boat proved to be a very versatile one. She won thre of three oar on gunwhale rowing races, she is exteremly well balanced under sail and will plane in winds over 10 knots, she once beat a Thistle in an impromptu race. The rig stows entirely in the boat and can be set up or stowed in less than five minutes. I had her out in winds of 35 knots and she sailed rings around everything else out there. She performs well with a 5 hp outboard motor. I have had six people in the boat with no problems. She drew admiring comments wherever she went. Construction is lapstrake ply which is probably a bit advanced for a first time builder but she would also be easy to build in cedar strip and would not be too costly if done this way.
    My plans are coyright but all I ask is credit for the design. If you want a copy of the plans please Email me. They are available for $25.00 plus printing and postage costs. I am trying to attach photos of hand drawn plans but no success so far. I will keep on trying.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008

15. Trevlyns

Trevlyns Senior Citizen/Member

There's also a lot of ideas here...

best!