I want to start sailing/build my sailboat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by SPI-sail, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Virtech1

Virtech1 Junior Member

SPI sailing

As a Port Isabel sailor - if you want to sail in the bay (Laguna Madre) a centerboard is definitly better than a daggerboard; and the same goes for most of the Gulf and the east coast south of Cape Cod. I know this is an old thread, but I just saw it today, and had to comment. By the way - I sail a thistle in the bay - 17' LOA, 6" draft (board up) and 515 lb. all up weight.

2. stubby

stubby Junior Member

Hi,

I would suggest the pathfinder, http://www.jwboatdesigns.co.nz/plans/pathfinder/index.htm, designed by John Welsford it is 16' 5'',you can sleep on it, beach it, im not sure about the pricing though, at a first look i might look difficult but my dad build one a little like it as a first time builder, with previous woodworking experience.
    The path finder is also a great boat to sail, and you can flood it and stay abouve the water, and I would suggest using the yawl rig.

Jordan

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

[​IMG]

This is over at the bateau.com site and about what you need. It's a good sailer, quite safe and an easy build.