I want my cake and to eat it too

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jorgepease, May 24, 2015.

1. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

A boat that floats in 8", runs in 3" and pounds as little as possible in a chop.

The boat I just built >> http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/fiberglass-composite-boat-building/infusion-plan-43380.html

came out better than I hoped for. Drafts 6", I'v run it shallow enough to polish the strakes 1.75" without grazing the skeg and she handles regular rollers up to 2' beautifully skimming from wave top to wave top ... but in a chop she is harsh.

The Yamaha F70 I started with was a little sluggish. Re-powered to a 115 feels right. She jumps on plane and runs about 40 which is fast enough for me.

If I gave up 3 inches of draft would it help smooth out the chop, wouldn't mind a little better handling either so I was thinking just a slight V. I still want to be able to skim across 3'' deep water though and not a break neck speed so I can't see much v in there.

Any ideas, would a longer heavier flat bottom break the chop better, should I focus on shock mitigating center console??

Thanks

2. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

3. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

I wonder how much wing surface I would need to glide a few inches above the surface )) Maybe a deployable one from a T Top

and a portabracket jack plate I think they have 17" of vertical movement enough to keep the motor down ... that would be something )

4. Rastapop

Rastapop Naval Architect

You have a flat bottom - terrible pounding is to be expected in less than ideal conditions.

You can't have your cake and eat it too, you have to compromise, or limit how/when/where you use the boat.

5. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

I should elaborate on the condition ...

I pound in OVER 1' sloppy or close seas but I RATTLE like the end of a rattle snake when its 1' and under and close or messy. On regular rollers up to 3 feet, the length of the boat runs smoothly across them, feels great.

I know I can't get through the bigger sloppy stuff without slowing down but that little stuff that rattles me!?

I feel as if I had second running surface like a planing cats only about 3" deep that it would cushion the jarring some.

Im not worried about hull slap, I know I have to slow down for the bigger stuff and I am adding wetted surface but I am hoping I can lift off the flat bottom and ride on the cat hulls at speed to also reduce wetted surface on calm days or through the short chop

I'v seen a high performance boat running on nothing but a pad in the stuff that makes me rattle and it totally impressed me. It was smaller than my boat.

My boat is super light, can a flat bottom or very small deadrise have a pad

6. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

7. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.