I want to buy/have built a 150' trimaran.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Slipheed, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

The OP's post count remains one,
    A clear case of troll-post-and-run.
    Though our responses be droll,
    They just feed the troll.
    Stick a fork in the thread, 'cause it's done.

:D

Jimbo

2. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

this happens from time to time, I can not believe you guys are so Gullible
    by the way I just sold my nuke submarine, it was try hull, and other subs just kept getting jammed between the hulls

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

We naives just started to enjoy the game, no you say the deck was manipulated. Killjoy...........

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Hay, I'm new to the discussion and want a boat. This will be my dream boat, so money isn't an object. Here's what I want, 26', trailerable, shoal draft and full standing headroom as I'm 6' 6", canting keel for performance, non-capsizable, non-sinkable and it would be nice if the windows would be self washing. Can any help . . .

5. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

That is why I ask Apex how much, because if you have to ask you can't afford it.

I think most people dream of the big boat, but the financing priceless...

It is amazing the monies that can go into a properly equipped 60 footers, and 150foot trimaran...way to much...

I think in todays world, the biggest boat most people should go for is a 45-50 mono sailboat...

6. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

I take Slipheed's original request at face value, until he says something new that causes me to doubt his sincerity.

As for grandiose dreams, I agree. From my experience, most people dream far beyond their pocketbooks, plus they dream of boat sizes that are really too much to handle for small crews. I believe that nice two-person cruising boats are between 35' and 45'. Are we going to see a resurgence of boat designs in these sizes? The world-wide economy is a train wreck, and smart people may realize that smaller is better--perhaps they'll back away from the 60' and 80'ers and come down to something more practical.

I have long said that when I retire, I am going to write a book called, "I want to build a boat, but I don't have any money." Hardly a week goes by that I don't hear this approach.

I designed by Globetrotter 45 as a boat for myself, what I would like to have for my next boat to cruise around the world. But even I realize at my age, despite how easy the G45 is to sail, I am knocking on the door of age 60, and I simply don't have the strength and stamina of when I was cruising at age 26. So, I am designing a Globetrotter 40, which should have enough room for what I need. Although, the more I study it, I really do want that G45!

As far as I can see on this thread, the original request was legitimate. And I would hope that Slipheed will come back with other comments and reactions on what has been posted here. Despite what he may think or really want, the question of a huge multihull is explored for others to see, despite what his original intentions were.

Eric

7. Alik

Alik Senior Member

As I know, Prout has announced construction of 130'(?) trimaran. It was announced in Asia-Pacifc Boating magazine few months ago.

On other side, construction is not likely to complete considering known financial problems of this company.

8. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

At 100' LWL, 130' LOA, Hetairos is not the largest wood-epoxy sailing vessel we did ( I was lead designer BKYD 1989-2001), the largest is Scheherazade, 132' LWL and 155' LOA. Displacement about 550,000 pounds. Launched 2003 and currently for sale at E16,000,000.

When Hetairos was built (launched 1992) A&R was the most expensive yacht building yard in the world, at the time most of their work was military. But they had no new-build contracts in the early phase of Hetairos, so their huge engineering office went to work making her extremely complex and difficult to build. Ideas like a huge bronze weldment which encased the ballast and included mast steps, floors, and centerboard case. Not good....it leaked right from the start.... I recall seeing dozens of drawings for plywood gussets at every deck beam/clamp joint??? Boat came in very heavy...but she's always been fast too....

9. apex1

apex1 Guest

Thanks for the additional info TAD. How could I forget Sheherazade, A.W. was very proud of, but she was completely out of my sight (Maine is far away from here).
    A&R is still one of the most expensive (and best) Megayachtbuilders in the world. They share that with Lürssen (quite the opposite banks of the river you know), and B&V Hamburg, as they do with knowledge and even staff sometimes.
    I did´nt know about the daggerboard issues, but I know how the engineering department was looking at scantlings. Used with SAR and Mil. boats they tended to build battleships, still fast though.
    The first owner of "Battered Bull" a 40m Motoryacht launched in the mid 80ies made a statement after her maiden voyage Germany to the Med. he said:
    After that trip the A&R men came down to fix some issues we had found during the run, we had a list of 17 minor problems. These men added another 85 to the list and fixed that immediately, they built me an Aircraft carrier! (Figures I remember vague, but are about right)

Regards
    Richard

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.