I may have the rarest skiff..........

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Homarus, May 22, 2009.

1. Zed

Zed Senior Member

Heavy?

2. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

There is stainless and then, there is stainless. I have owned a 1988 Dodge van since new, which now has 189,000 miles on it. The original stainless muffler is still just fine and I just had the catalytic converter replaced for the first time this week.

I don't know what the muffler on our 1987 Taurus was made of, but it ate them every few years. A vehicle that is used for short trips would corrode a muffler far faster (in miles driven) than a vehicle used on long trips, like our van.

3. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

moisture condenses in the cooler muffler on short trips. Acids form when the water combines with residual chemicals because the cat isn't up to temp either. This doesn't help much with certain types of Stainless as it is only "Just" stainless. Long trips allow things to get to get to proper temp and condensation isn't a problem.

4. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

My Taurus was driven almost entirely on trips of an hour or more: long commute! The GM was bought a year before I retired so spent mot of its days on local trips. So environmentally the Ford has the best of the deal. I don't buy Fords any more. The 2 GMs I have had have been better than any of my other brands including the vaunted Toyotas: can't understand why they got into so much trouble.

Are we off the topic yet?

5. Zed

Zed Senior Member

Yes...!

I was kinda hoping the OP would show us some pics of this thing! Mebe it is the shinny stuff, I have seen some odd things over the years.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.