Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Design > Boat Design
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 10-07-2008, 08:38 PM
bertho

Rep: 59 Posts: 178
hydroptere 52.83 knt

during training last week end at fos sur mer , not homologated !
faaasssst !
bertho
Attached Thumbnails
hydroptere 52.83 knt-14576.jpg  

Old 10-08-2008, 01:07 AM

Rep: 171 Posts: 327
And who says blobotes are slobotes??

Sure is an awful lot of technology to accomplish something windsurfers and kiteboards have been doing for years, though.

I guess that's all right. Any technological advancements that moves the state of the art ahead are bound to be welcome eventually.

52.83kt=60mph(!!!)=97.8 Km/h. I don't care what you're driving on the water, that's hauling ass.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:56 AM
Previous Member

Nope, L'Hydroptere's speed is not ratified by the WSSRC, but without question, just flat hauling butt.

The number listed is a peak speed and unfortunatley, that does not qualify as a record. They have to maintain the speed and the average over a minimum 500 meter regulated course is what will get them a record.

Epo, you are right, the kiteboarders and some windsurfers have also clocked speeds that high for momentary values. The world record for 500 meters is currently held by a French kiteboarder at 50.57 knots. I believe that the speed is still pending final ratification from the WSSRC, but the record run was supervised, on-site by representatives of the WSSRC, so it should be just a matter of a short time for the official deal to fall in place.

The part that completely amazes me is that all the wind force to get going that fast (40-45 knots) is being pushed right through the boarders body. No winches, no tie-off points, just one studly dude (or dudess) hanging his/her cheese waaaay out in the wind. By the way, the fastest women's speed sailing record is Sjouke Bredenkamp with a posted run of 45.2 knots.

Chris Ostlind
Lunada Design
www.lunadadesign.com