hydrogen powered marine engine

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Bryan Campbell, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Vehicles and caravans etc. that have fammable gases in containers ie. LPG require a vent at the lowest part of the vehicle to vent any leaking gas. LPG is heavier than air, not sure about Hydrogen, (why didn't I listen at school).

This would mean putting a vent in the bottom of the hull of a boat. This would also eliviate the problem of having a bilge pump as any water build up could get out as well.

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Fred- yes, CNG cylinders are bulky and heavy. (A conversion on a Crown Vic for 300km range on CNG fills almost all of the trunk!)
    Poida- Hydrogen is far lighter than air. Methane (natural gas) is also a bit lighter than air. Propane and all higher hydrocarbons are heavier. (SG of hydrogen is 0.000089, SG of air is 0.00128 at SATP, about 14x denser than hydrogen).

3. Richard Hillsid

Richard Hillsid Senior Member

Producer gas ie wood gas enyone?

4. StianM

StianM Senior Member

Hydrogen is a big energy lie.

1.You nead big amount off energy to make Hydrogen.
    2.Hydrogen atoms are so smal that they leak trough anny solids so a sealed tank will be empthy if you leave it long enough.

Hydrogen will never replace the curent fuels unless we start to produce enough electrisety to make hydrogen for all motors in the world, but that won't be a cheaper fuel.

Sweden has no oil and they go for bioenergy. Norway has mutch oil and go for hydrogen, Why? Because one off the cheapest way off geting hydrogen is geting it from petroilium. Prtrolium is hydrocarbones, so you only nead to seperate out the carbon and all you have left is hydrogen.

5. StianM

StianM Senior Member

Now we are talking

6. Towboat Ed

Towboat Ed Junior Member

Hydrogen-on-demand for boats

I am new here. I just found this thread .I realize it is a very old thread, but this technology has advanced tremendously in the last few years, and even in the last few months.If the members here do not want to "beat this dead horse" anymore, thats fine,I`ll bow out. But if you want to discuss it then I would like to participate. Yes, I do have an agenda, I want to sell HOD systems for boats. And, I WILL PROVE IT WORKS.......respectfully Towboat Ed

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  7. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

I'm interested in your topic. I've been studing Natural Gas for the same. the problem I'm having is volumn in storage and the very high pressures needed in N.G. as it does not like compression. I understand it is possible to create your own Hydrogen for fuel. What about storage and pressures or is it liquified.

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I looked into hydrogen systems briefly and the logistics of the system made it a poor choice
    at least in its present form
    interesting read though Ill definitely keep up on what you guys come up with

9. Towboat Ed

Towboat Ed Junior Member

Most problems relating to the use of Hydrogen are with storage.With a Hydrogen-On-Demand System, it is never stored, but is used as-it-is-made. It is made by splitting water with Brute Force Electrolosis. Distilled water, along with a catalyst, is stored in a small tank, much like a windshield washer tank on your car/the (water) electrolyte circulates through a "cell"containing an Anode & a Cathode. Current from your battery "splits' the H20, into HHO, or 2 parts Hydrogen & 1 part Oxygen. This gas,known as Hydroxy is then injected into your engines intake where the smaller H2 molecules mix with your gas or diesel, resulting in more complete combustion via a faster flame speed.The extra oxygen also helps the process. It is sometimes called"Fractional Hydrogen" because the total volumn of H2 rarely exceeds 5-10% of the total fuel.I have seen mileage gains of 40-50% on diesels, and 30-35% on gas engines.Public Transit Buses in Canada have used this system for years.Hundreds, if not thousands of Semi Trucks, in the US, are using it with the owners saying that the fuel-savings are the only thing keeping them in buisness. I know of one County Sherriff Dept., and one City that has it on all their vehicles.

10. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Ed,
    May I ask which Canadian public transit system you are referring to?

11. Boston

Boston Previous Member

would be interesting to see some schematics on the system as well if you have em
    Ild more than happy to be wrong and have there be a good solid enhancement to conventional fuels

cheers
    B

12. Towboat Ed

Towboat Ed Junior Member

13. Towboat Ed

Towboat Ed Junior Member

14. Towboat Ed

Towboat Ed Junior Member

Boston, I do not have the schematics, but here are some pictures of the unit on my boat. I will be sailing in a week or so, for a month or more of cruising & proving he system. All my fuel-burn numbers & mileage will be posted Daily on my Test Results Page. Plans are to run half of each day With HHO on/and half of each day with it off. I have an agreement with the builder of the unit to collect data for perfecting the formula for the electrolyte, and controlling the temperature of the Hydroxy. We will be changing the cells & using upgraded versions every 500 miles or so. I have tested these cells & others on my car & truck in the last year, on gas engines. I hope I am not violating any forum rules by posting a link to my website but thats the only way I know to give you all the details....Thanks for your interest..Ed
    www.water4fuel4boats.com

15. Boston

Boston Previous Member

fair weather and clear sailing
    B

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.