Hydrofoil Profile Question

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ancient kayaker, Oct 21, 2008.

1. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

That's what I don't ever get at my local pond. I can sail Lake Simcoe at Barrie where there's usually a good breeze, but the beach that has an offshore prevailing breeze is swimmers only except for a tiny stretch that is masked by buildings and a big stretch with nasty rocks.

There's also a couple of high-rises that have monstrous wind shadows, I couldn't believe how far and how much they killed the wind. Sail a kite board behind those and its a long paddle home with a wet kite!

I forgot the other factor I have to deal with locally: two bridges with about 6 ft clearance. Maybe I should just move!

2. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

I have been tempted to buy a small kite to play with on one of my pedal boats but it has such limited scope that I think it would be a waste of money.

I think they offer value in the open ocean and I am not inclined to take a small boat into that situation.

Rick W

3. Munter

Munter Amateur

Not exactly hydrofoil profiles but seeing as we're wandering...
    I have kited from a canoe. I took a small (4m) ram air on a trip with my girl to see if I couldn't get a bit of a free ride along some section. See photo attached.
    [​IMG]
    The kite flew off handles and despite a relatively steady breeze I had big control issues. I had to fly the kite from the mid-point of the canoe and found directional control much harder than on a kite board. Mostly it was a trawling exercise. I take some pride in the small bow wave shown in the pic though - proof I did get it going (a bit...).

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.