Humber Jewel returns!

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Humber Boats, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Humber Boats

Humber Boats www.humberboats.ca

Hello all.

Non Canadian readers likely will never have heard of a Humber Jewel but after almost a thirty year hiatus, this little boat is once again being offered to the boating public. The Humber Jewel is a 13 foot fiberglass boat with a wide stern which for its size can accomodate a large horsepower motor, giving it a tremendous power to weight ratio.

If you have heard of this really fun runabout boat and would like to know more, please reply to this posting.

John Rowley

2. vintage23

vintage23 New Member

Humber Jewel

Hi John.

I've been looking hi & lo for this boat. Very interrested in the earlier version (round bow as opposed to the more square version of the late 60's model.

I've tried to research the boat & Humber itself, but am having very few results.

Any info you may have on this boat would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks kindly,

AJ

3. Humber Boats

Hello AJ,

Well, I have good news and bad news. The good news is that as I said in my original posting, Humber Boats is back in business and producing Humber Jewels. The bad news (for you at least) is that they will be the square nose variety. There were many more of these made as there were some design changes from the original, for instance, the boat well is longer and the transom is higher so that when you stop the boat, the back doesn't flood as with the older round nose model.

I am actually the son of Ernie Rowley the founder of Humber Boats. I feel that after a thrity year hiatus, the Humber Jewel will sell again. It will be an exact copy of the original square nose design.

Aside from the one I own, I have never seen a round bow Jewel. Mine is actually the second one ever produced and for sentimental reasons is not for sale, sorry. If you wish to know any more about Humber Boats or are interested in a brand new Humber Jewel, please feel free to call me at 416-659-5460.

Thanks so much for your interest in the Humber Jewel.

Regards,

John Rowley

4. bilgeboy

bilgeboy Senior Member

Something about this thread sounds like a late-night TV "infomercial."

Maybe you just have to be from Ontario?

:)

Mike

1 person likes this.
  5. Figgy

Figgy Senior Member

Ha! I was thinking the same thing :) At least it wasn't an outright plug, he tried. I wish him luck tho'.

6. vintage23

vintage23 New Member

John,

Please send through any info you have on the new Jewel as I am interested in it.

Thanks kindly,

Al

ps - Hi Mike, there were a couple of Jewels on our lake in Haliburton ( about 2 hrs north-east of Toronto ) They were a neat runabout that was very popular in it's time. You don't see or hear much about them anymore.

Take care,

Al

7. Humber Boats

Hello again!

Well, I suppose you don't hear much about Humber Jewels anymore is they haven't been built in a long time! There still are a few about and by next summer, there will be a lot more about!
    The Jewel will be available to suit both long and short shaft motors. Which do you have?
    In addition the windshield is going to be a bit lower than is pictured on the website so that you can see over it. As it is now, you are looking through it or at the trim at the top edge which I and several other Jewel owners don't like!
    All contact info is on the website if you need to know anything else.

Thanks so much for your interest!

John

8. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

Thanks for the link, nice hull .

Student

9. knobie

knobie New Member

hi john great boat had alot fun growing up with ours my dad bought to my understanding the first one protype iguess in the spring 1960 its funny cause ijust pulled out after yrs of storage just started to sand it out as it many layers of paint over the original jell coat white red will try to post some pics

10. Humber Boats

An Original?

Hey there!

Wow, an original Jewel? That's great! Is your family the original owner? Yes, I would love to see whatever pictures you have and am quite keen to see how the work on it progresses. Are you going to put it back in the water next summer or are you going to sell it?

Thanks for the message!

John

11. Fion's Ladder

Fion's Ladder New Member

I have an original Jewel for sale. It is in great shape and has a warrantied 40hp mariner. It needs some work to restore it 100$, but it is close. Currently it is on ebay with a listing header of Humber Jewel. Steven

12. Knobie2

Knobie2 New Member

Hey John!
    My brother (Knobie) and I drove to Parry Sound last summer and checked out the new Humber Jewel! What a sweet boat!!! As Knobie said, our boat was the first prototype! Of course it has the round bow on it and the original boat had a VERY small well at the stern. Your father actually made up an extension from the well and fiberglassed it in place. It was very evident as the attachment was fiberglassed in place by hand! Our father purchased the boat in 1960 and we at that time lived in Richmond Hill Ontario. When our dad bought the boat, it had an 40 HP Evinrude on it "Lark??" In the 70's we convinced dad that he should put a 3 cyl 65 hp Johnson on it. Knobie and I home made a tri-pod for it and the boat made an excellent ski boat! As we got older, we found that our weight could pull the boat around quite easily ....so the boat when into storage and we bought a J-craft for skiing. The Jewel now sits in Knobies Garage and is undergoing restoration.

13. Knobie2

Knobie2 New Member

P.S
    Dad bought the boat as new so he was the original owner!!!

14. gllslat

gllslat New Member

Hi Folks.l have a humber 13 foot with a 55 Chrysler on it for sale in Carleton Place Ontario.Runs like the first day my dad purchased it..NO leaks and runs beautifully(all original).Not to sure of how much to ask for as lve never seen one for sale before.Any idea of a price or anybody with a reasonable offer will sell.Thanks Greg....reason for selling;bought new Ranger 210 Reata and dont need 2 boats..

15. Reddog

Reddog New Member

Humber jewel

Hi

Just wondering if the boat is sold, if not what you are looking for.

Tks

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.