Human Powered Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by SolomonGrundy, Feb 12, 2005.

1. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

Ok then, sounds good.

2. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Thanks for reminding me I still have "Idea Trasferring" problems that I will take to my grave. Cheezze it! How is he going to breath without taking on water in storms?

3. Skippy

Skippy Senior Member

markdrela: Muscle mass doesn't matter much in this case, and so an added arm power system is just useless claptrap.

markdrela: I have to disagree violently here.

Mark, not everyone is as good an engineer as you obviously are. Why don't you let other people decide for themselves what they think is "useless claptrap".

Long-term power production is determined, as is anything, by whatever is the weakest element involved. One reason cycling works so well is that most people have relatively large leg muscles, so muscle failure isn't much of an issue. That leaves cardiovascular capacity. But that's not true for everyone. Some people are just built for different kinds of exercise, and might actually have trouble with cycling if their legs aren't very strong.

And there are other issues beside short-term efficiency. First of all, the guys who fly pedal-powered aircraft are usually good cyclists, I know the guy who flew Gossamer Albatross was. And the best ones may even have relatively light upper bodies, which in cycling is mostly just dead weight, it certainly doesn't contribute nearly as much power as leg strength.

Second, road and air vehicles have a relatively smooth terrain, so there's not much need for variable power output. In rough water it's very different. With a rowing setup, it might be possible to heave up a wave in one or two strokes, and then coast down the other side, which actually keeps the boat speed more even, not less. It's kind of like standing up on the pedals to go up a steep hill, and catching your breath as you coast down. Total drag loss is reduced. And muscle strength matters.

Thanks for your input on the prop and oars, it's very interesting.

4. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Attached Files:

5. mackid068

I like it, but why not set it up so there's a way to have it so the seating where you pedal from serve as a front sleeping compartment as well? Oh, and maybe integgrate the propellor assembly with a rudder assembly.

6. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Sean, that site pretty well states the needs of this trip. I like the RADARS a lot. A good nights sleep helps.

7. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Attached Files:

8. mackid068

I'd still like to see a safety concious boat, liferaft strapped to the top with an opening window that you can kick open and deploy the liferaft off the side easily.

9. SolomonGrundy

SolomonGrundy I'm not crazy...

Hpv

It has been awhile since I started this thread, I really appreciate everyones input. I haven't checked it in some time I've been in Port Moller, AK for the last month. Many of the preliminary steps have been taken regarding design of the hull and drive line. I'm shopping around now for a suitable design 26' on the waterline, multi chine, double ender. needs to carry about 1 ton of gear and supplies, turned by a 32" carbon fiber 2 bladed prop. and rudder.
    I've seen a few semi suitable designs approaching my requirements, but I had come to the point where I would attempt to loft 1/2 scale off of a model I had made from doorskin and hot glue. Now that I'm working 60 hrs. a week, I haven't the time for that...

10. mackid068

That's good, progress is very good. What's the hull material you want? A displacement hull, I assume? Additionally, how long do you estimate that your trip would be? About 6 months to one year?

11. Skippy

Skippy Senior Member

mk, go back & read the thread. He welds in aluminum, and he's planning a trip of something like 3 months.

12. mackid068

Ah. Sorry.

13. SolomonGrundy

SolomonGrundy I'm not crazy...

Hpv

Kinda 1/2 right.
    I'm an aluminum welder/boatbuilder, true. But the boat will be outfitted for voyages of 3 months duration, the whole trip would be about 2 1/2 years minimum.

14. mackid068

That's a long time. Perhaps you should equip for 3 1/2 or 4 months (have about a month's worth of extra supplies on hand).

15. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

um, arees, that's not exactly relevant to this thread. Try posting a new thread somewhere in Propulsion with a LOT more details of what you have and want, and you might get an answer.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.