Human Powered Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by SolomonGrundy, Feb 12, 2005.

1. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

There's an awful lot of little boats down East and on the Grand Banks that are called dories but are clinker built with no flat on them. The definition can be interpreted rather loosely.

2. VladZenin

VladZenin Senior Member

I think these threads will be interesting for you: “Sine wave propulsion” t=7834; “Fishes and dolphins are powerful propellers” t=8191; “How fast can we swim with a dolphin like propeller?” t=8257 and “Briefly about flapping hydrofoil propulsion” t=8335

3. SolomonGrundy

SolomonGrundy I'm not crazy...

HPV update

So I'm back from Dutch Harbor and I thought I'd give another update as to what's going on with the project, a local designer has signed on at a rate I can actually afford and I had my first person to person meeting with him today. We went over alot of the preliminaries such as displacement and basic requirements etc. We are working toward getting a hull modeled, then hopefully CNC files after that.

4. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

be sure to post what's going on when you have a chance (pics and stuff).

5. SolomonGrundy

and...

I guess I could have elaborated a little...
    We are going with a loaded disp. of 3500 lbs. I threw out 26' as about as long as I'd be comfortable with. It may or may not be flat bottomed but will cetrainly be double ended. Decked and with a house TBD.
    Power will be pedal to prop via a set of bevel gears and 1/2" ss shaft.
    Prop will be a large diam. 2 bladed carbon fiber, resembeling a rubber band powered airplanes prop. Rated output of yours truley ??? ...hopefully between 1/6 and 1/3 hp. I better start studying those currents...

6. SolomonGrundy

HPV update

Ok.
    Well, I just got the model from the designer. It is quite preliminary and some main differences will be in the deck/house and it's size. It's displacement as viewed is about right, but I need a bit more internal volume to accomodate everything I'll need.
    There are so many hurdles to overcome, but the main ones remain figuring out the most efficient prop. And also the drive line which is still on the drawing board...It looks like I will be pedaling reclined style with a second pedal crank set up for my arms..ie. I'll be pedaling with both arms and legs.
    I'm not sure if these pics show the shaft/skeg/prop very well, but that's still fluid as well...
    I'm hoping someone steps up to the plate to help me with the prop... I plan on making them out of kevlar or carbon fiber and epoxy here in my shop. I'll have some spares just in case, but prop calcs are a bit out of my league. The design specs called for a 32" min. prop diameter but I'm still trying to nail down what kind of actual power/rpm's I'll be able to deliver to the shaft.
    Any help there will also be apreciated...we are going on the assumption I'll be able to deliver between 1/6 and 1/3 hp. depending on circumstances. The max. hull speed of 4.something will doubtfully ever be approached, if I can make 2 kts. loaded I'll be stoked. 1.5... I'll be happy. 1kt. ... I'll be satisfied.

Attached Files:

7. SolomonGrundy

Sorry, I tried to upload the bitmap files but was denied...
    ...you'll need Rhino to view these.

http://www.rhino3d.com/

8. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Save yoursef a lot of wasted money and effort. Call a major prop house --Michigan Wheel---- ask for Tech. Asst. They will tell you the shape of the best prop at such low speeds and power.

9. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

About that 32" min. dia. prop. I doubt you will be able to overcome all the leading edge drag and surface area drag for very long. A attic fan that dia. has a 1/4 hp geared down quite a bit. In water, start with a standard 2 blade prop about 12" X 12" go from there. Borrow all till you feel one that is very pleasant for long hours. You have no idea of your true pedal power. YOU and that PROP are the two most variable and important things to moving the boat foward for days on end. Wind at your back, 5 mph, start pedaling, 6 mph. Could do that for days on end. Make sure the prop is permenantly colored BLACK. Barracuda, Tuna, Sharks and other big fish are attracted to low speed sounds that flash light at them. Prop damage avoidance.---Freshwater fish have bitten the slow turning propellers of boats in gear.

10. mackid068

If you really feel like going fast, get a recording of a marine drill instructor yelling at you. You'll pedal faster, I guarantee it. But seriously. It seems to me that you're not going to go very fast. By focusding pon efficiency in terms of hulll design (teardrop hull or what?) you can maximize the energy to power ratio. I guess.

11. SolomonGrundy

Thanks cyclops, Good advice.
    Mackid068... instead of some fairy MC DI, I'll just look back to my fond memories of Hell Week in BUD/S and an evolution we called "around the world"

12. mackid068

BUD/S! Basic Underwater Demolition/SEALS (Sea Air Land) training? Woah. MC DI, compared to any SEAL instructor, yeah, they're probably something like mom chiding you to clean up your room (the Marine DIs that is).

13. SolomonGrundy

You aint just whistelin' Dixie...

14. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

I would love to see your various lists that you have created for this project. Curious and they would help me with mine.

15. mackid068

By the way...I hope you're going to have an EPIRB, a raft etc. But after BUD/S I'm sure you can swim from California to Japan no problem. Well, maybe to Hawaii.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.