Which Hull Should I Use? (Visuals Included)

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by justinDesign, Nov 7, 2007.

1. justinDesign

justinDesign Junior Member

To begin with I will give you a little background on my project. I am designing a bass fishing boat for fishing in remote areas such as small rivers. These areas will have a certain amount of debris which may include things such as stumps, dead branches, and lily pads. The vessel is intended to be a large stable platform of about 12ft by 6ft with as little draft as possible so that it may be run in shallow water. The gas propulsion for this vessel will be an outboard surface drive, again to minimize draft. The Electric propulsion for fishing purposes will be in the form of 2 augers recessed into the vessel as pictured. I have included drawings of what I believe to be my best hull options. My concern is how the augers will react under gas propulsion at higher speeds. I would like to, if possible, prevent the augers from coming into contact while the vessel is on plane via the gas motor and to be fully submerged when the vessel is off plane. I believe the tunnels for the auger should run the entire length of the vessel; please let me know if you think otherwise. This vessel is intended to have the possibility of being produced so please if you see any building problems let me know. I am not an engineer or a boat designer, but I am a product designer, so please any input you may have is appreciated comments, info, pics, websites, or even a “looks good” are all appreciated.

(F.Y. I.) I have stylized the drawings with weighted line and such to give a 3D feel and the blue lines are intended as section lines.

Thanks Again

Attached Files:

2. johnnyv

johnnyv Junior Member

Using your petrol out board for planning and an electic trolling motor instead of a elabourate augur design will be seriously cheaper, lighter, more reliable and quicker to implement.
    For the hull im not sure, i like the idea of an inverted V hull.
    A flat bottom would have the shallowest draft, a pram or Jon boat is a standard type of design for shallow rivers.

3. kengrome

kengrome Senior Member

Justin, I agree with johnnyv. My first thought is that if you *really* want as shallow draft as possible you must use a simple flat bottom. My second thought is that this is a very short and wide boat, and its width will restrict it from many narrow streams and passageways which are presumably where people are going to want to take this boat. If you made it 16 feet long it would be only 4.5 feet wide with the same bottom loading (assuming a flat bottom) ... and although this is still too wide for some people at least it is substantially narrower than your original width.

Very innovative but also very expensive and fraught with potential problems. How is a person going to unwrap the weeds or fishing lines or anything else that gets wrapped around those augers? How much will it cost him to replace an auger when it gets damaged? How will those augers affect the boat's planing, steering, and other characteriscics under power? How do you fix or maintain the augers, by flipping the boat over every time?

Much simpler and more cost effective is an electric trolling motor. Not only can you buy them cheaply but you can use the same motor on many other boats.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.