Hull lines for a 36' Higgins L.C.V.P.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Proflooney, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Proflooney

Proflooney Junior Member

Ok so now I am ready to get started on this thing as a CGI Ship Build then a 1/6th scale radio control model.

here is my first Hurdle. the TOO for this is in a different layout than I am used to. the stations are on top and I dont see waterlines listed but rather heights above base for things so I am not sure how to set this up in excel for my curve table to import

if anyone is interested the few factory drawings I have found are here: http://www.proflooney.net/LCVP.rar

I am wondering if someone can point me into the proper direction to set up my excel file as I am used to seeing waterlines on top row stations on the side. also for the B1 and B2 and chine lines how do i set them up in a table so it will draw them offset properly from centerline

thanks
    Joe

Attached Files:

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

You have the full fairing of the LCVP and the submarine. Why do you need their TOO? I would advise you not to draw each and every one of the frames but, for example, one out of five, just to get a digital faired body lines plan, from which you can obtain the cross sections you need to make your model.

3. Proflooney

Proflooney Junior Member

I dont know anything abt the full fairing or whatever you talking about think of me as a kindergardner in ship design. I prefer the TOO because it would be more accurate plus I am wanting to learn the use of tables in my software program more.

I have tried using the outlines on the view that shows the bulkheads but they run together and are confusing to me where the TOO is easier for me to understand and draw with.

On the LCVP the TOO are different than I am used to and with the ones that are offset from the centerline I need to figure out how to write the table for them.

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Since you seem to be an expert in SolidWorks, you could use the .tif files you have, inserting them as raster image references in a SolidWorks drawing, scale them to the scale you need, and get as many half breadths you like.

5. Proflooney

Proflooney Junior Member

Ive done that But I want to do it Via the TOO since I have them I want to use them to set up all the tables for solidworks. its not so much that I cannot spend the time tracing them as I want to get used to creating and using the tables in solidworks

Added my fletcher excel sheet to give you an idea.

the reason why I want to get used to doing it with the TOO is because I want to eventually take the data for an iowa class battleship and that will be more than just tracing a few lines as I want to do the entire ship in cad all decks, hull, subframes etc.

so I am practicing and learning now on smaller projects

Attached Files:

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Well, I'm not able to understand what you need to do. I guess, but I'm sure I'm wrong, you need the TOO to draw the cross sections and, with those curves, cut the section in wood or any other material.
    That's why I tell you to forget the TOO and draw the frames directly.
    I think I'm not able to help you, so I will not make you waste any more time with me. Good luck in your project.
    Cheers.

7. Proflooney

Proflooney Junior Member

Well i am not basically worried about cutting in wood I want to draw the entire boat in 3D cad Just as though it was coming out of the shipyard. Virtual Modelling they call it.

8. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Then, my friend, you don't need a TOO at all. Things are much easier.

9. Proflooney

Proflooney Junior Member

I know I dont NEED it but I am wanting to use it it is my preference to use it
    when I get to something like an Iowa Class Battleship I will need to be able to use them for all the various lines I will need so this is practice

10. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

11. Proflooney

Proflooney Junior Member

Ok I got it all figured out tonight. needed to step away from computer for a bit.

I have to use the stations like normal in the curve table, then the height above baseline as my waterlines, and for the keel, B-1, B-2 I use those as my width in the table which would be the offset from the centerline.

so that table of curves would be the same as a buttocks curve setup.

then I use the same info but in the third column I use the sheer and chine Half Breadths as my widths to generate the curve table for the sheer and chine.

i guess sometimes it takes getting away from the project for a few mins to make everything clear

12. Proflooney

Proflooney Junior Member

PS Tansl you didnt waste my time just allowed me to have a little distraction chat that i needed so actually you had helped me in your own way :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.