hull design for houseboat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by boatbuilder12, Aug 27, 2008.

1. boatbuilder12

boatbuilder12 New Member

hi, all i'm new to here so please excuse me if i make a mistake. I am designing a hull for a house boat and am wondering if this would work. Could you build a a house boat hull that was barge style but twin hulled like a catamaran. there would be two hulls but the bow ends would be angled. would they be fuel efficient, would they create less drag than a mono hull barge style houseboat? the size houseboat i want to buil is a 48foot by 16 foot houseboat. the hulls would be 4ft. by 4ft. by 48ft. any help would be very appreciated because i have never designed a boat before.

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

3. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

This fellow have done it, he used two large ehhh "pipes"....
    ended up with a vessel of approx 90' and 300 m2 area, separate docking station for extra boat, almost forgot the elevator....:D

(he used to be a farmer, but as he said he got tired of working, and needed a hobby, this is at least his second design (I've seen the one prior to this.... that was big enough I thought), there may be one boat built before that again... tired of working...?:rolleyes: ).

http://www.nrk.no/programmer/tv/autofil/1.4972584

In Norwegian of course... all you who doesn't understand one of the main langues of this world, enjoy the pictures....:D

4. boatbuilder12

boatbuilder12 New Member

thankyou

thankyou for your help.

5. Morro

Morro Junior Member

Knut, that is one awsome home build project you linked to.

The hulls are based on 110 cm tubes, 2 x 340 hp gives 17 knots, the owner built it in one year, full time.

Attached Files:

• lea.jpg
      lea.jpg
      File size:
      78.8 KB
      Views:
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.