Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors
Old 04-20-2017, 09:23 AM

Rep: 10 Posts: 1
Hull Crack Repair Advice

Hello,

As i was sanding the hull preparing for bottom paint, i found this area that has been repaired in the past, yet is showing a new crack thru the repair area.

I was looking for tips on how to approach repairing this crack?

I assume sand back from the crack to expose good glass, but was curious if anyone has ever tried to repair a repair? Should i take all of the material off from the first repair? Or just sand back from the crack and re-fill with glass and epoxy?

This is on a 32 foot flybridge, port side, about 1/4 of the way back from the bow.

First picture is a close up of the crack, second picture is from the outside looking towards the keel.

Thanks in advance!

C Cap
Attached Thumbnails
Hull Crack Repair Advice-rsz_122.jpg  Hull Crack Repair Advice-rsz_41.jpg  
Old 04-20-2017, 08:08 PM
Yacht Designer/Builder

Rep: 3967 Posts: 17,963
Grind out the crack, feathering back at a 12:1 slope. Fill the hollowed out gracked area with new fabric and resin, then prep forpaint or gelcoat. About the previous repair, it seems obvious it wasn't good enough, but if it seems sound, just finish it smooth and prep for paint. If not, do he same a I've described for the crack.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:05 AM

Rep: 2031 Posts: 11,897
I would check the stringers in that area. Most likely there is a structural problem to have a crack perpendicular to the centerline.