hubby's project and we need some insight!

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rachie, Jun 21, 2009.

1. rachie

rachie New Member

My husband purchased a used 1986 17' Chris Craft fiberglass ski/fishing boat from a marina that had been sitting exposed in Montana weather and uncovered for over 2 years. He spent 8 months waiting to get the engine fixed/rebuilt/overhauled (whatever the correct wording is????) and now is in hte process of restoring the inside seating area. We have completely stripped the boat to basically the foam core in the center and only the engine in the boat. We would like to be able to replace the floor, put in new seating, and a laying deck over the engine compartment and back area of the boat. The designing we wanted to do something neat and different, but have come to the realization that the room is not there to do too much. So we are searching for seats, ideas for flooring, and for a deck. If anyone can help me to find ways to network for ideas to help make this project rewardable and smartly designed please feel free to pass ideas along! Obviously I am not a boat expert, but am eager to help with the restoration process and get on the water!:D

2. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Pictures

Post some pictures of the progess and you'll get way more feedback.

3. rachie

rachie New Member

thank you

thanks for the heads up I will do that tonight!

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If you've ripped up the "flooring", you'll need to re'glass in a new sole (floor). Since it's an '86, the foam is likely water/oil/fuel soaked and should be ripped out as well. Perform a search of previous threads for sole replacement and brush up on the tasks involved.

5. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

On seating, sometimes there are very good deals on seating on Ebay

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Hey Rachie, your hubbie is a lucky man to have you share the project. If the bum doesn't treat you well there are a lot of old grubby boatbuilders that will:) You can buy the seats that convert to bunks for cheaper that you can build anything. They are complete and have a plastic frame that won't rot. Most repair shops will have a catalog. Land'nsea is one of the distributors that carry it. If you can't get them locally I can help.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.