How is the size of a rudder determined?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Sunny Parab, Aug 18, 2014.

1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The simply reality of the OP's question is it's so broad, that there's no real answer and likely (an assumption on my part) an attempt to complete his homework with interweb help, instead of learning the skills he must, in order to pass honestly. Frankly a question like this is a bit like asking if a car should have 2 or 4 doors.

He's been offered basic rules of thumb, some of which work on some hull forms and appendage combinations, but not especially effectively, if looking for some serious efficiency improvements over similar types. If there's one thing that has seen considerable development in recent generations, it's appendage design. If he really wants an answer, he'll have to run some tests, computer models and of course, swallow the compulsory flow dynamics issues, associated with the necessary understanding of the subject.

Are we being coy? Yeah, now we are. In fact, I didn't join this discussion, until it became plainly obvious the OP wasn't willing to do the appropriate research. Hell, I'll bet his text books could provide much of the information he's looked to gain here (more of my assumptions). We see this a lot out of India and the Philippines, as well as other areas of the world at certain times of the year. There is an unreasonably high floating body count in this portion of the world, with craft designed and operated by the education levels typical there.

The bottom line is blunt; if you're going to develop, design or operate devices, equipment, conveyance, etc. that place people in an "unnatural situation" (like cruising along at 500 MPH at 35,000' for example) a certain level of professionalism and expertise should be expected (BTW, "unnatural situation" is a legal term). So, if you and several others are in something, that's farther from shore than you can swim back to . . .

Granted, maybe he's a first year student looking for an easy ride, but damn, I'd rather he learn now, compared to when an insurance company has to petition another country, to extradite his negligent butt, back for trial on multiple counts.

2. Jammer Six

Jammer Six Previous Member

Spoken in complete keeping with your professionalism.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You've obviously never been involved with a wrongful death suit or been hired to inspect the remains of a "incident" or investigate the cause(s) of similar. When you stand next the place where one of the bodies was found and find a obvious flaw in something, it tends to piss you off, on both a personal and professional level. So, yeah, I like to punch boneheads around a bit, in hopes they'll figure out how serious it can get. I give them the benefit of the doubt at first, but this OP wasn't satisfied with the scientific approach presented initially, moving on to broader, more imposable to answer questions, that Google could have handled in .8 seconds per search.

4. Jammer Six

Jammer Six Previous Member

It pleases me to see that you've taken it on yourself to set the levels necessary for the future of naval design, because someone has to do it, and your choice of an insignificant board on the internet as your medium for doing so is also in keeping with everything I've come to expect from you. Keep up the excellent work. I'm sure your experience with the horrors of inspection would have stopped a lesser man. Fortunately, our society as a whole has made great strides recently in coping with delayed stress, and perhaps that will come to your aid.

5. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Curious.

When you go to a doctor and ask for a little yellow pill, he'll ask why and what for. Well stress of course, i need a little yellow pill for my stress, as great strides have been made.

Upon which the doctor will either

1) give you a little yellow pill, and that's the end of it.
    or
    2) Ask more probing questions to ascertain the reasons to establish a cause...and may not even prescribe a pill, let alone a little yellow one.

Professionalism is an easy word to throw around, yet few fail to grasp all its ramifications.

In case you're wondering only Dr 2 would be the professional. No amount of ranting by a patient wanting/needing a little yellow pill will alter that.

And yup.., the naval architecture community has made great sides in design. Doesn't mean the professionalism has been lowered to others wants/needs or expectations.

PAR is simply stating the professional point of view. Clearly you disagree. Never the Twain shall meet.

1 person likes this.
  6. Kas Lewis

Kas Lewis New Member

Is it possible to share where someone can find reliable technical data to learn more about such a thing.

7. Kas Lewis

Kas Lewis New Member

Could anyone share information on where to find more technical information or someone could learn about better design with regards to boat design remote shape?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.