How to Make Small Catamaran.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rtbreeder, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi RT,

If I was you I'd stick to the hobie. Instead it may be easier to figure a way out to right the hobie instead of building a smaller boat ! I was thinking along the lines of using some aluminum poles you could extend from the hull that would increase your lever action and tip the hobie upright, perhaps add a bit of lightweight foam on the mast so it will stay afloat.

I'm sure there are lots of others that would also benefit from same if you could figure it out, and it should not be rocket science.

Apart from being expensive, at some stage you will outgrow the smaller boat and your younger brother will be in the position you are in now. The suggestion will fit both of you still. Imo smaller is going to be very frustrating.

2. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

I think Fanie is right. It doesn't make much sense to build a new (small and slow) boat because you cannot right a bigger one. Better to make righting the big one easier.

A righting pole does work, check out on line how A class cat sailors right their boats. I think the early Hobies had a righting pole under the mast beam. I found that standing on a stern to help sink it and make the boat right diagonally worked well.

If you look on my Biography page you'll see the 7ft cat my Dad made for me when I was 5 years old. You will agree - not enough freeboard!

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

3. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

If you do pursue the new boat idea consider the Optimist. Longer than the boat you propose, but look at how much buoyancy it has to make it into a sailing boat. There is obviously no way you can get that much buoyancy from two thin catamaran hulls

Also look at the small inflatable beach cats. They are little more than beach toys and I think you want more than that

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

4. Poida

Poida Senior Member

How about this for an idea?

The hardest part of righting a cat is at the begining when the hulls are past verticle. You have to use your weight alone to get the hulls past verticle so the hull in the air acts as a counter weight to raise the mast out of the water.

How about a side rig for the mast that you can release to extend it for say 600mm 2 Ft.

This allows you to tilt the hull 600mm past verticle allowing the hull to act as a counter weight until righted. Then tighten the side rig to erect the mast upright.

Of course if 600mm is not enough, it can be extended to suit the person's weight.

5. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Hi RT,

Like Fanie, Richard & Poida I'm in favor of solving the righting problem in stead of building a smaller cat.

Here some options.... (all pics are clickable linked to their source for info and ideas)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Righting Bag

[​IMG] - [​IMG] - [​IMG] - [​IMG]

[​IMG]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Righting Pole

[​IMG]

[​IMG] - [​IMG] <-- Mast Float (and/or seal your mast)

Here some of the above and some more ideas for righting systems.

Google: "righting bag" / "righting bucket" / "righting pole" / "hobie righting" / "mast float" / etc. for more info.

I think whatever righting systems you choose, you can make it yourself.

Good luck!
    Angel

1 person likes this.
  6. Angélique

Btw RT,

You might send the moderator a PM to ask to move this thread to the multihull part of the forum, maybe some multi guys that don't read here will also shine their light over this.

Good luck!
    Angel

7. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

that "Righting Bag" was exactly what I meant, plus you can use it to

haul gear!

However, in the pic with the man in the red PDF, the bag is already in the water and thus reduced righting force.

Maybe the bag shouldn't be so tall and narrow, and a shorter and wider bag would be better for accessing the gear you normally haul.

Not so sure I like the Righting Pole:

doesn't have a dual use

might hit bottom and then you got another problem

might ensnare the user and hold him under water

8. Angélique

Sorry Squidly-Diddly,

I managed to miss post #12, I should have read the thread more carefully . . :eek:

Anyway RT, if insist on building a 9' cat, take a look at the Dix Oppikat, not as easy to build as the RebelCat from post #11 though....

[​IMG] - [​IMG] (pics linked to source)

Cheers,
    Angel

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.