how to give a hull bow lift

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by weehenry, Oct 6, 2008.

1. weehenry

weehenry Junior Member

thankyou so so much for taking the time out to help me here i really appreciate the help

i forgot to mention that the boat goes about 6 mph faster going after the wind rather than into the wind it slows

i see a lot of boats have a pad bottom ie the fountian racing boats what are the benifets of this
    does it help the bow by getting the shaft more horizontal

2. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

A stepped planing hull can be lower drag than a single planing surface. The stepped sections act as individual lifting planes so suffer less induced drag because they are higher aspect than a single surface. It means there is less energy lost in pushing the water sideways.

If you Google "stepped hull" you should get information. There are threads here on this sort of hull as well.

Rick W

3. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Rick,

The heeling into the wind issue is common. It's caused by the boat being blown off course by the beam wind. Course correction is made by steering toward the wind. This introduces a heeling moment from the offset thrust used to hold the proper course. Thus the boat banks toward the wind just like it would in a turn.

Not as important with a surface drive since the vertical moment arm of the propthrust is very small.

4. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Tom
    I know it is a common problem. I have never sat down and considered the forces involved. I appreciate the explanation. It also supports the point that you cannot ignore the force of both water and air on the hull, particularly when you are traveling at high speed.

The reduction in vertical moment arm with the surface drive would contribute to the bow down attitude. I think this has already been suggested in one of the earlier posts.

Rick W

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.