How to fair hull lofting (2D) on paper?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by mystrwizard, Jan 13, 2010.

1. mystrwizard

mystrwizard Junior Member

Ive got some station offsets for an Outrigger and have been drawing the stations using Autocad and noticed some of the offsets are not on the same lines if I draw a spline to connect. I can adjust those points to coincide to the spline so the offsets are fair but then Im not sure if Ive messed up the fairing of the waterlines.

Is there a drawing technique (2D) for lofting plans where you can fair the station lines and the waterlines together on paper. Then Ill take those new offsets and start cutting out my stations for strip planking.

Thanks for all the help!

Reese

2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Autocad will not fair a shape correctly. This is based upon trying to do that since Acad 2 back in the late '80s. It will get close, but never on.

As far as traditional lofting goes, yes has been done by hand for centuries. Use a spline (batten), ducks (spline weights), and a good eye. There are several books, or chapters in books, on lofting.

Remember, in todays world, don't get down on your knees before the computer and examine with a microscope the 5th decimal place of a virtial line on the screen. Stand on your feet like a man and stand back while you ponder the fairness of of the curve you just drew.

3. Joe Petrich

Joe Petrich Designer

There, fixed it for you;)

4. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

I thought that is what apprentices are for....

(Been there, done that, got the scars on the knees from kneeling on a batten nail....)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.