How do you compare two boats of different size.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by river runner, Aug 23, 2011.

1. river runner

river runner baker

If you've followed my previous threads you know I've designed, and have nearly finished building, a drift boat. I made the claim that I thought my design, or a design based on my ideas, would perform better than the more traditional drift boat design. This was received with a great deal of skepticism. I decided that I'd never be able to back up my claim without something to compare it to. So I bought an old Hyde aluminum high side. A very traditional looking drift boat and probably about as good as aluminum drift boats get. I plan to fix it up till it is as close to the performance of a new one as possible and use this to compare my boat against.
    The problem is, this boat is quite a bit larger than my boat. Any thoughts on making a fair comparison?

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Size is a huge factor in performance and capabilities. Make a list of capabilities and another list of limitations for each boat. Then compare the lists.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.