How come you can't buy a folding trailerable pontoon barge?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by parkland, Sep 7, 2012.

1. myark

myark Senior Member

This Myark trailer barge I designed is 6.m long X 3.m wide, weighs less than 400kg when its folded the width is 2.m x 1.1 high x 3. long.

It was made to also fit on the back of a ute as well as towed.

Attached Files:

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

What is a ute?

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

pickup truck. Utility vehicle...

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Thanks

5. michael pierzga

slang is difficult for non english speakers. Once in Miami I sent an Italian to purchase a new Prop for my tender. The salesman had two props..one for Hoe Shot ? My Italian didn't understand, looked up" Hoe" on his smart phone...translated it to "*****, ****"
    , got confused and came back to the boat empty handed.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It happens in every language.

7. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

You did figure that one out, right?

8. michael pierzga

Sure..no problem. No drugs, guns or Hoes on my boats so I sent the Italian back to get the general purpose prop

9. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Good choice. I'm surprised a shot hoe is even an option, there can't be much demand.

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

He probably heard "hole shot" wrong.

11. michael pierzga

Of course..Ive been around boats a long time. It was meant to be an example of why you must avoid slang when dealing with multinationals

If you have a Greek, an Italian and a Chinaman at the shipyard... they must switch to English or they cant communicate their ideas.

Best if its proper English so that they may consult a dictionary for clarification

12. myark

myark Senior Member

When towing the Myark folding trailer barge it felt like I was towing nothing becuase it was light and cut through the air as well having the slipstream of the RV.

Attached Files:

13. myark

myark Senior Member

Eventually I will start to manufacture Myark folding trailer barges commercially in China so the idea is affordable, I do get many enquires to build folding trailer barges but turn them down regularly at this stage.
    At one time Myark started a venture to build the craft inventions with the King of Tonga who came to my workshop in Auckland with his body guards, personal doctor, and secretary, he arrived in his bullet proof car which you can see myself pictured talking to the King at the Auckland boat ramp while demonstrating a 10.m X 4.8 folding trailer barge to him.
    The America cups had just finished that time which I promoted several of the larger Myark folding trailer barges with camper vans on deck outside the Americas cup village, drawing attention and newspaper write ups, also my barges were used when they handed over the Americas cup to the NZ winners which I spilt a Myark folding trailer barge in two for the confetti guns.
    The King saw all this and took interest in the idea and persuaded me to manufacture several type invention water crafts in Tonga.
    He gave me a large amount of cash in hand and later he offered an open check book, unfortunately at a later date I turned down this grand opportunity because of the complications “alcohol and violence” also a rebellion was brewing and some years later nearly every shop in Tonga was burnt to the ground.
    The King was a good man.
    Tongan people are kind and polite also very religious, but complex because of an island stuck out in the middle of the pacific and affordable alcohol on the island that caused much problem.
    I built a boat building work shop and shipped a forklift, several tons of 5083 aluminum, 3 new high grade welder machines including new outboard motors and so on but close the start of the building the boat inventions, and a work crew of youths keen to learn the boat building trade, was ruined by a gang of thugs.
    I was encouraged to stay but unfortunately not only because of the danger to my wife also a rebellion brewing and the brewery that stoked the fire of peaceful church going people, I left empty handed.

Attached Files:

14. myark

myark Senior Member

Has any one ever seen in their life a Camper van towing a folding trailer barge and then the camper van can drive on top of the unfolded trailer barge, for example a pictured is medium sized Myark trailer barge that weighs 1600 kg in towing form and 1.200 wide in folding form with a width of 3.6 unfolded the independent suspension and wheels are floated of and stored so the barge can plan or travel in shallow water.
    A smaller trailer barge pictured that has the Jayco RV is only .800 wide in folding form and weighs 800kg yet its 3.6 wide in unfolded form.
    Another Myark model to compare is the 10.m X 4.8 that has the 13 ton digger on top of the deck or a luxury caravan on top on a lake.
    The 10.m folding barge structure in folding form is 1.m wide and weighs 2 tons in towing form.

There are other types of folding barges, manly placed on trailer that are to heavy or are wide and only take small loads, I have never seen one towed by a RV for amphibious travel such as on remote lakes, rivers or traveling to remote islands then driving the RV in a paradise bay for example this movie on You Tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDfSuAtiVkQ

Attached Files:

15. myark

myark Senior Member

This is not a camper van towing an amphibious trailer barge as I can not find any on the internet search and was wondering how the Amphibear trip around the glob went ?

I have a design amphibious trailer barge that can float a Camper van around the pacific islands.

Global amphibious jorney starts

http://www.aeroyacht.com/2014/07/09/60000km-journey-amphibious-catamaran-car/

TALLINN – An Estonian on Saturday began a trip around the world in a Toyota Land Cruiser that he turned into an amphibious vehicle that will cross land, oceans and rivers on a 60,000-km journey.

Mait Nilson, 44, a mechanical engineer who has been working on the project for the past seven years, waved goodbye to friends and fans as he set off from Tallinn on a journey that he estimates will take nine months.

“This has been my dream since I was a 10-year-old boy and spent summers at our cottage near Lake Peipsi in east Estonia,” Nilson said before his departure in the vehicle, which has been dubbed “Amphibear.” The vehicle looks much like a typical 4×4, aside from large attachments that allow it to metamorphose into a 10-meter-long boat. It sports an anchor, hydraulic pump and portable toilet. A stove has been built into the back door.

“The first sea crossing will be the Strait of Gibraltar, the first river crossing is in Senegal and the first ocean crossing is the Atlantic,” Nilson said. He will be joined by several co-pilots on different legs of the journey. The trip will pass through Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Italy, France, Spain, Morocco, Mauritania, Senegal, Cape Verde, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Peru, Colombia, Panama, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Mexico, the U.S., Canada and Russia.

“Amphibear can cover 120 nautical miles in a day in ideal conditions. Most legs last less than five days and can be covered when the weather forecast is good. On land, the car-boat can drive at speeds of up to 110 kph,” Nilson said.

“So far I have spent around 200 hours at sea with my amphibious car,” he added. “As an amphibious vehicle, Amphibear has some disadvantages when compared to a catamaran or a boat. It has a higher center of gravity, less room for crew and equipment. Its big advantage is low wind drag, meaning less risk to capsize due to wind.”
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E76rsN0Xsdw#t=33
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfjmeSdxKLc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-L0FUODh0k

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.