Hovercraft dive platform

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Moosen, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Moosen

Moosen New Member

hello,
    Ive searched the interweb thingy and many sites for info, but couldnt find what I was looking for, I hope someone stumbles upon this and can possibly provide some guidance.

Im trying to find guidance about designing a hovercraft, for upto 6 adults, which upon arrival at its destination, could be used as a dive platform. The actual hovercraft isnt much of a problem, but the next bit may possibly be unobtainable. I would like to make the platform as stable as possible, and was thinking of incorporating a SWATHE design into it, utilising inflatable pontoons which are tucked up out of the way during transit, but are lowered when on site.

Thankyou for your time,
    Paul.

2. yipster

yipster designer

first thought that came to mind:
    blowing a swath up under a hoovercraft for stability going in the water is best done than true a hatch in the middle of the craft
    gee, there is much more to think about...

3. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

There's already a combination SWATH and hovercraft - it's called a Suface Effect Ship (SES). They have rigid sidewalls like a SWATH, and blow air underneath to support the hull like a hovercraft. See http://www.foils.org/skjold%20brief.pdf for an example of a SES that is of a size that might be appropriate for a dive boat.

I think you are a bit confused about your requirements. You say you want maximum stability. But the whole point of a SWATH is to have minimum stability.

4. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

um, I'm not going to get into the discussion of what swaths are intended for against other craft, personally I thought it was primarily for low wave drag... anyway.

Moosen,

I don't know where you are in the UK, but I suggest you sketch out a few ideas and then go and talk to Gryphon Hovercraft in Southampton. They've been in the game for a large number of years, so they're probably the people to talk to...

Personally, I'd suggest a pretty standard hovercraft with tubes that were large enough for it to float with the engine off.

There are a lot of interesting question that will creep up in this project. I'll be interested to know what the outcome was,

Tim B.

5. yipster

yipster designer

imagine blowing up only a hoovercrafts sealed skirt and opening major size holes in the legs
    for wild shallow water shorter wavelengts a smaller platform could work

6. Moosen

Moosen New Member

Thanks folks,
    I think I forgot that people aren't sharing my brain waves, and I dont think I put the problem across well enough. Think I've spent too long thinking about it myself :D I suppose an easier way of discribing it, is that I would like a hovercraft for the journey, but a platform, that is lifted above the waves on arrival.

http://www.nektoncruises.com/Liveaboards/SWATH.aspx
    is a good example of the "platform" effect I'm after, but a little large :p

the whole "I want a SWATH design" was a bit misleading... but "I want a pontoon thingy on legs that is lifted clear of the waves" confused even me, and I'm supposed to know what I'm after :( so sorry if I caused any head scratching :D

Cheers for the Griffon info Tim B, I've got a friend making my scribbles presentable, or at least understandable, and I think I'll give them a bell (I'm up North) and see if they have and guidance, always better to be laughed at by folks that do it for a living :D

Thanks again everyone for your time....

7. yipster

yipster designer

a quik second thought i saw and cant find back quik now is a ship that on location goes vertical ( takes a nosedive ) :eek:
    the resulting above waterline stern with 90 degree accomodation makes a small waterplane area for all seastates, not a really wide platform tho :rolleyes:

8. Moosen

Moosen New Member

cheers Yipster,
    I think i know the type you mention, I believe they were something to do with the oil industry, now that would be a sight, arriving on site and then deleberatly sinking half your vessle :D

9. yipster

yipster designer

"now that would be a sight"
    like the interior on the wall in transit mode :D
    but actually Tom has the asked solution...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.