Houseboat remodeling. Second story?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by RosesToAshes, Jan 25, 2011.

1. RosesToAshes

RosesToAshes Junior Member

Hello Boat forum users!
    I am new to this site (and boating in general) so I hope I am posting this in the correct location.
    My Husband and I are looking at buying a houseboat as a live-aboard. nothing to fancy and expensive but we would like to have something as big as we can manage. hopefully something 14ft wide (or larger) by 50ft+ long. We have found a few that look possible.
    Now for my Question. (I'm going to use this boat as an example as we haven't picked one yet and this is a option http://nashville.craigslist.org/boa/2161496762.html) We would love to add on to a houseboat if possible. As in maybe putting a bedroom on top. like a small second story. nothing big or extravagant, just enough space for a bed and dresser so to speak. With that link I posted and that boat if we bought that one could we add a bedroom to that one? I know there would be a bunch of stability issues to deal with.
    I'm asking as a complete newbie on this and just wondering if it is possible and if so what would be the major things I would have to do to make it as stable as possible

Thank you so much for any help you can provide
    Adrienne

2. JLIMA

JLIMA crazed throttleman

With the one from the craigslist post, if it were me i would consider extending the cabin further aft instead of up. 1 it would be less work and keep the current ilnterior more or less the same because there wouldn't be the need to put in a stairway, 2 there would be less penalty in stability because the weight isn't as high, 3 if the "2nd story" were placed where the current upper deck is for lack of a better term you would loose it as usable deck space.

Like I said thats just my take on it. does it look like the boat could take the added top hamper.... probably, but in my opinion it would detract from the general usefulness of the boat and take away from both deck and interior space by going up instead of aft. Regardless of what you choose good luck and happy boating.......

3. Bruce46

Bruce46 Junior Member

All boats are designed around a basic planned use. Unlike a house that sits on solid ground, adding a room to a house boat could be disastrous. There would be stability issues, trim issues (not talking about interior mouldings), plus the hull structure is designed to support the vessel in its present configuration.
    The best suggestion I can give you is to find a houseboat that was built by a quality builder/designer. Install new carpet, curtins, and a coat of paint then enjoy. Oh the most important item for buying any vessel is to have it checked out by a surveyor. And remember rule one about buying, All sellers are liars. Good luck.

4. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

I wouldn't advise either up or longer. You should buy what you want, as is, so you don't have to do ANY work.

Are you really sure you wany to a) live aboard, b) own a boat and c) get invovled in boating? These are questions I would give serious consideration to before jumping in.

All the best,

-Tom

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Going up can cause a serious stability problem; particularly in windy conditions. It can be done, but you need someone experienced to look at the houseboat. At 14 ft beam, the boat is already about as tall as it it wide. One more story will make it taller than wide, a really bad condition.

6. Perm Stress

Perm Stress Senior Member

It is a most common mistake a people used to own/build/deign houses make, when they start to consider boats (nothing personal, I have enough examples close to me).

Increasing height of boat by adding superstructures is one of the very best ways to ruin it.
    At best -it will ruin her performance: she will sink deeper, will have lower downflooding angles, will have (much) less stability >roll to higher angles, list more from any asymmetrically placed weight or wind, will move slower, while burning more fuel .....
    At worst, she will capsize as soon, as docking lines are released.
    My full support to all advice "Buy quality design&build as it is"

7. wardd

wardd Senior Member

wouldn't the structure be designed for one story and and only as heavy and robust as needed?

8. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

But it's fun!!

-Tom

9. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

I once lived in a 24' x 8' wooden shantyboat that had been built for birdwatching. When the second baby came, I built a kids bedroom on the roof, using the existing skylight as access for the narrow vertical ladder. No stairs, no dresser, foam on the floor, sitting headroom and very lightweight build. It worked but anything more and it would have been unstable.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.