Houseboat propulsion

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Waterrat, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Waterrat

Waterrat New Member

Thanks, everyone, for all of the ideas.
    I am looking at the Merc Big Foot 60 or the Yamaha High Thrust 60, as I already own a Yamaha F50, and am very happy with it (also filters, spark plugs etc. are the same for both).
    The price point for the F60 is almost exactly the same as a 3.0 ltr. mercruiser.
    I just haven't made the final decision on which way to go...... but thanks again for your input.
    All great ideas.........

Par.... any further ideas about a bow thruster? I.E. what type, size, etc.

Thanks again, guys...

Rat

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Bow thruster? wot you think the third motor is? clamp it on to the runabout tie the runabout across the square bit at the other end to the engines (do house boats have bows and sterns?) and there you have a system much the same as the big schooners use in New England for stern thusters (they be enginless to comply with some wierd law)!

Sotty about the Yank gibe, to may stabs at the colonials in other forums become a hazard! here we talk boats only! Over in the 'Open' we call each other names and stab each other in the back - I believe it's called fun (yeah we're a weird lot!)

3. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Kind of like this? Sam

Attached Files:

4. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

Why not stick a small, high thrust, low speed, outboard or even large electric trolling motor on the bow pointed athwart ship. Reverse can be starboard. Forward can be port.

Bob

5. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Another idea- put one outboard on centre line in the bow and one at the stern, both pointing aft. Two steering wheels and two throttle/shift boxes at the helm. Could lock one straight ahead and steer with the other, or steer with both, as desired. (Assuming the boat's on pontoons of course, a barge wouldn't work for this.) Or tilt one out of the water if you don't need it. Thus complete redundancy with no off-axis thrust, easy docking, never get stuck. (Got the idea from the old Lightning fighter jet, actually.)

6. JonathanCole

JonathanCole imagineer

Reading my mind? See attached drawings. Many have scoffed at this approach, but if you create enough structure to support motor wells and also some sort of debris barrier to protect the prop, I think eliminating the outboard and going with inboard/outboard setup gives you bow and stern thrusters in addition to redundant drives. This can work especially well with two electric drives since 180 degree turns plus instant reverse gives a full 360 degrees of potential thrust vectors. DuluthBoats (Gary) designed this setup which would be appropriate for a fore/aft drive arrangement (see drawing). Additional advantages: turn on a dime, parallel parking is a snap.

Attached Files:

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Don't have a clue for your application, just not enough information.

I didn't use one on either of my designs. The 52'er doesn't really need one, it's parked 99% of the time and doesn't go far when it does. The other has a pilothouse and stacks on the roof of the main cabin, making for lots of windage. This boat travels around quite a bit and cross winds can make docking interesting. Twins can help a lot, but a quick burp with a thruster can save a hard landing into a perfect docking.

There are several outfits that specialize in just this type of work. See what a search turns up and try and to get a quote.

8. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Jonathan, I was thinking of doing almost exactly that, only with conventional outboards- I like your idea better though. What if we put a fuel cell stack in it?

9. JonathanCole

JonathanCole imagineer

For what fuel? As soon as there is an economical, practical hydrogen storage system, it can be easily added to any electric boat. If there is a supply of hydrogen available. But it will be here before too much longer.
    http://www.israelnn.com/news.php3?id=89029
    http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/003473.html
    http://83.219.63.174/Articles/292805...rent+class.htm

10. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Hey fella's just a thought, go look at some of the hybrid's in the oil industry and scale down! Alot of what your saying has already been done by them (or are they looking at your stuff and scaling up? mmmmmm interesting thought)!

Incidentaly to to prove this I spent some five years (not all in one go!) working on one supply/work boat - first time we went into dry dock, dropped the water, went to dock bottom to take a look, apart from the bulbous bow and thruster it was a 53 metre file bottomed 'sharpie' (chines, the lot!) with twin outdrives out the bottom at the back - **** was she manouverable! comfortable in a blow too! Liked sharpies before got really into them after that!:)

IATGC likes this.

11. Koocanusa

Koocanusa New Member

Houseboat power

Hi Waterrat
    I have a 44' x12' houseboat on aluminum pontoons with a 120 hp inboard outboard. When I go cruising I tie my 18' al boat on the side and aft. The little boat is powered by a 4 stroke 60 hp outboard. I have used the small boat to propel the houseboat with no problem.
    I am researching changing to electric power for the houseboat. Any ideas out there?
    Koocanusa

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.