Houseboat Design for Pontoon

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Greg72, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Greg72

Greg72 New Member

I am looking for information on building a houseboat cabin for a 25 to 30 foot pontoon. In the end, I would like it to look similar to the cabin kits on this web site, www.houseboatkits.com. I would prefer to use aluminum as the exterior skin and it must have some form of insulation. I plan to purchase the pontoon kit after determining the weight of the cabin and interior furnishings. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Greg

2. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

Hi Greg,
    You don't really say what kind of information you are looking for. This place is full of help but you must be specific.

I grew up in Winona,
    Gary :D

3. Greg72

Greg72 New Member

I guess what I'm really looking for is information on the wall and ceiling design as far as framing or a plan to go off of (e.g. 2" u-channel 16" O.C. with .040 aluminum sheeting riveted to exterior for walls). How are manufacturers building the shells.

It's good to hear from another Winonan!!

Thanks,
    Greg

4. pace

pace New Member

Greg

The beauty with houseboats, (subject to national regulations) are that they are for inland waters and can be made from anything as long as they are weather tight, able to handle the local conditions and are not reliant on the superstructure to withstand flooding. A normal wooden framed house construction should in theory do the job but conditions on the water tend to be harsher and maintanance becomes an issue. Classification societies give recomendations on superstructure design and can possible be a basis from which you can start yours. Since you are american (northern) check out ABS as I believe you can download some of their design guidelines. Be aware for laymen these guidelines can be daunting.

Regards
    Drew

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.