House Boat for caribbean bay

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by charlesakeem, Apr 26, 2010.

1. charlesakeem

charlesakeem Junior Member

Do you know of any feasible designs for a house boat.
    That can stay safely in Caribbean bays.
    I'm thinkiong big enough for a 2 maybe 4 people on vacation.
    Area is the island of tobago

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

In short:

NO

Houseboat and Caribbean does not really go together.

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Around here, "houseboat" refers to something that, most of the time, is essentially a Winnebago with pontoons. They are strictly calm-water craft and cannot be left out in high winds, nor can they be operated in seas much higher than their deck clearance (usually a foot or so).

There are, however, quite a few options for liveaboard cruising boats that would offer the space you likely desire, with more seaworthy hull forms and sturdier construction.....

4. peterAustralia

peterAustralia Senior Member

5. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Charles,

there is a company called bluewater yachts that makes the most seaworthy houseboat I am familure with (Note that most is a relative term however). I own the Mullinium 5800 from them, and while I would not consider it a true offshore vessel it is great for near costal cruising, and honestly the fuel savings between this and a comperable sized motor yacht pay for chartering an off shore fishing boat when I want to spend a week off shore.

It may not have everything you would like (fuel storage is pretty puny at only 450 gallons, but it runs at about 25 gallons/hr/engine at a cruising speed of 16kn).

http://bluewater.ep2.channelbladelive.com/Page.aspx/pageId/6472/Home.aspx

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.