Home designed/built dinghy

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by NewEntrant, Feb 15, 2016.

1. NewEntrant

NewEntrant Junior Member

I'm currently thinking about designing and building a dinghy as my first boat.
    I've never designed or built a boat before, and I know that it might end up as a complete failure, but I'm prepared to take that risk. My requirements are: Fast, particularly downwind and reaching, easy to build, good looks would be preferable, and it must be able to handle all sorts of conditions, as where I live the weather changes quite quickly. At the moment I'm thinking about 13' LOA and 4' beam, but these might change later. A decent amount of flare will keep the waterline narrow, while giving me good deck space and make it easier to stay upright. Since this is my first build, the boat will almost definitely be a v bottom, but with very little dead rise. If anyone has any useful information, design ideas or feedback please share, any help will is appreciated.

2. NewEntrant

NewEntrant Junior Member

I did a quick model of on delftship to show what I'm thinking. Please go easy on me...

Attached Files:

3. Heimfried

Heimfried Senior Member

Not very much freeboard, as it seems. Did you think about wind, waves, moving persons?

Edit: just found your other thread: a sailing dinghy?
    I don't think, it will work: no lateral resistance in the underwater ship and nearly no possibility to heel without downflooding.

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Maybe he intends it to be fully covered over ? Otherwise it will be a short and exciting life. The design shows no such deck.

5. NewEntrant

NewEntrant Junior Member

The model only shows the hull, which will be fully decked over, with the exception of a shallow foot well that extends all the way to the transom (essentially an open cockpit). Obviously, a centreboard will provide the lateral resistance needed.

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Spend some time studying, before you play with software. There's so many things wrong with this, that listing them would be pointless. Pick up a few books and go through them, so you at least have a chance of some level of success. Also, while you learn why and how things are shaped, look at designs with similarities to your ideas and see the engineering approaches and general proportions used. For your first design and build, you don't want to go very far from convention, simply because you don't know what does or doesn't work yet. You build on success, typically small steps at a time. Trying to make a leap, just doesn't work, without a lot of understanding. Then again, spending $50 bucks on a plan, can save you a bunch of studying.

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

These stats may be beneficial. Consider spending time looking at existing boats as close as possible to what you want and study their details. Hope this info will help a bit-good luck!

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.