holy grail solar air conditioning unit that isnt powered by honda generators and is

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by hoytedow, Mar 12, 2012.

1. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

2. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

You can skip the Thule box if you get a DuoTherm or similar:

[​IMG]

Seriously, those were my first choice and I would have done that if it were a boat for me. I am very much a fan of no through hulls. I can't build a flybridge around the deck of the boat and a flybridge makes zero sense on the boat pictured (which is exactly what my boat will look like when complete).

Thank you for the input, but you have to think sleek, beautiful and efficient.

I need someone to suggest the smallest, most energy efficient, self contained, marine AC unit there is. Anyone know which ones are best?

I'm looking for little 4000 btu models or something - one for each room, since I am going to use a generator for power.

Aw, crap. Sorry guys. I didn't realize this was the other air conditioning thread. I thought it was the one I started.

3. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

ROTFLMAO!

-Tom

4. Mick@itc

Mick@itc Junior Member

aircraft ac

In terms of weight and size I turned to a relative in the Airforce to discuss what the small planes do for a/c. I explained I was interested in three things in priority order. Small/light as possible for the given need. Low energy draw. and finaly, stuff that might br publicly available.

H
    I have seen and heard ac units thit are 6inches cubed that would solve marne problems o issues. hOWEVER THE BITS WE CN GET ACCESS TO ARE REALLY ONLY CIVIL CRAFT BASED, I believe that cessnas and other normal aircrafts havr a/c systems that just might do the trick. Off the the aircraft forumd for me for a while.

Me

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I also ROFLMAO. :p

Sorry about that. :eek:

6. hoytedow

With aircraft the problem is more one of staying warm. Temp drops 3 degrees for every 1000 feet increase in elevation.

7. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Aircraft use the so-called bootstrap cycle for AC. the explanation can be found here, so I won't waste time typing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_cycle_machine :)

Up in the altitude the problem is staying warm, but on the ground a cooling is necessary. On board the passengers planes you have a payload of 100-150 W heaters seated inside in a tight space, and their heat production adds to any external heat load (think of a waiting on the runway on a hot summer day).

Cheers

8. GTO

GTO Senior Member

The aircraft i crewed on, a B-52, used bleed air off one of the compressor stages for heating/cooling. If going with that option, one could do away with the inboard or outboards. Fuel consumption would be problematic but power would not be an issue. ;)

1 person likes this.
  9. hoytedow

I won't fly commercially unless no road goes there, so it won't be much of a problem for me until I leave the first 48.

10. Submarine Tom

I like your attitude GTO!

-Tom

11. hoytedow

You gotta have a good attitude to fly a B-52. I knew a couple of B-52 fliers. One took a buzzard through the radome at speed, strewing buzzard parts throughout the cockpit.

12. Submarine Tom

Nice!

Back in my Pro-Rally racing days a guy hit a dear and it stayed on his hood for the rest of the stage. Two things amazed him: the extent to which the dead, rupture body reeked and the fact that it stayed on the hood through all the high speed, logging road turns and bumps. The thing was still there at the end of the stage, I saw it!!

Thread drift!! Sorry Hoyt.

-Tom

P.S. Thanks CDK!

13. hoytedow

Me too. :(

14. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.