Hole

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by 01pinkfloyd, May 6, 2004.

1. 01pinkfloyd

01pinkfloyd New Member

I am new to the boating world and I have a question. I just bought a 1971 marlin fiberglass boat, it is about 26 ft. long and has a ford 302 I/O. I have stripped the paint and interior from the boat to restore it and I discovered a strange hole in the bottom of the boat. It looks like it belongs there but I am not sure. It is in the center about 3-4 feet forward from the transom, and it has a rubber grommet around it...When I raised the nose of the boat up, water (that leaked in from the snow over the winter) began to come out of this hole..Anyone know what this is for?? Is it suppose to be there?? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Does it have a threaded fitting? Looks like a garboard drain.

3. 01pinkfloyd

01pinkfloyd New Member

Not that I know of, it is a 3-4 inch wide round rubber grommet with a hole in the middle...What could it be? What is a garboard drain?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.