Here's The true Sea Sled Story, circa1985

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by tonydignity, Aug 23, 2004.

1. tonydignity

tonydignity Junior Member

I built all the plugs and moulds back in the 80s,and all the proto types, the design of the 23 was mine,and in its trials it impressed me greatly.
    I dont know of any production boats ,but when I left Sea Sled they might have continued to build boats though im not aware of any in existense. So yours is very interesting to me.
    Yes the Deck and sides of the hull are close cell foam composite moulded ,but I know I used balsa in several protoypes,they were not designed for sale but as test beds for what was a new concept.
    I am wondering is you would be good enough to send me some pics of the boat,perhaps if memory serves I will recognise it.I am particularily interested in the hull form and interior layout.
    I apolagise for the imposition ,but can you also stay in touch and let me know your views on its performance,and sea keeping qualities. There are several groups working on possibly producing the hull in Australia ,and I am myself tinkering with the idea of a bigger version here in the UK.
    Sincerely Tony

2. tonydignity

Sea Sled

Hi Tim
    Thanks for your comments and views I appreciate all feedback, its nice to know people can see the complex structural changes and the purpose behind them ,stay in touch.
    I am most interested in seeing your boat pics still , if you get a moment to send some over. Let me take this moment to wish everyone a seasonal greeting and a sincere wish for a prosperous 2005 in the boat business
    Sincerely Tony

3. tonydignity

Hi again Don
    I forgot to answer your question on production .Its true that a hull with such potential never took off . The reason I believe is three fold, first it was 1988 and the US boat industry was in reccession!,second, Sal Ionati the owner of Sea Sled ,was groaning under the weight of mounting costs and little in the way of sales. You must consider a resurrected and redisigned hull breaking onto a dead or almost dead market place was folly.Third and no doubt the most important aspect of its demise was no one was told about it or saw much of it,no brochure or promotional vid was made and no sales drive,I took one to the Fort Lauderdale Show in 88 ,but that was the only time it aired to the public ,and that was as a static exhibit,with no boat on the water. If you have tried yours , you know its performance particularily turning and easy planing are unique sales tools never demonstrated to the public at large. Sal spent to much money on the disastrous 29,and nothing or hardly anything on the 23. At least this is my view.

4. Don Hunter

Don Hunter Guest

Tony,

As I am logged in as a visitor, I cannot post pics. If you want them e-mailed to I will need an address. I don't currently have any pics on file, but I'll be glad to take some for you.

In regards to this fellow putting all the effort into the 29' sled, that seems like it was a mistake for sure. Even in a bad market fishing boats still sell and the most popular and affordable size is right around 23'. Oh well, hind sight and all.

I expect I'll be ready to sea trial it sometime around Christmas week. I'll let you know how it goes.

Don

5. tonydignity

6. Tim Exley

Tim Exley Junior Member

Don,

It's been interesting to learn that that you have found one of the Ioatti "lost sea sleds". I have been trying to track one down for several years but have been unsuccessful. The trail went cold in Tarpon Springs where a guy told me the last one he knew about had been donated to a group of Boy Scouts.

I have built two sea sleds. They are 17' long and and are superb handling boats. It's ironic that you and Tony mention balsa coring since we used balsa coring in the bottom of ours but not in the sides. We still have the mold and I think we will probably build another one and see just how light we can make it.

Please keep us posted on your boat. I live on the Georgia coast and would really like to see yours. I'll be very interested in the sea trials.

Best regards,

Tim Exley 912-634-8300 hm
    404-218-9124 cell

7. tonydignity

Sea Sled

Hi Tim
    Just a line to say that I have put lots of pics in my gallery about Sea Sled.Tony

8. trouty

trouty Guest

9. tonydignity

Links

Thanx,I appreciate yuor assistance.Ther's not much on IV out there tony

10. vishnubaiju

vishnubaiju Junior Member

Very interesting . I am also interested to see the photographs os sea sled.My email is
    vishnubaiju@yahoo.com

11. tonydignity

Hi
    Good ,check back to my Gallery next week i need till then to figure out where I will scan the pics,feel free to write to me if there is any question I can answer for you.Best Tony

12. Baba

Baba New Member

13. HinghamMan

HinghamMan Junior Member

I Just Bought The 55' Sea Sled

Well i did it I bought the 55' Sea Sled yacht on line and the upper half is already here in mass the lower half should be here soon.I'm actually way excited about it I'm going to try it year round but i first must add heat and a black water tank I just learned of this site and have been reading all the history on Sea Sleds and would love to see more or purchace a book that may contain all sorts of interesting reading Pictures and facts so feel free to email me anything that you may think I'd like and maybe some more pics especially if anyone has pics of when it was a ride type boat in Alantic City mydad and mom used to be show people on the boardwalk and I was born there and that kinda cought my eye. hope To hear something back soon thanks HinghamMan@aol.com Boston Mass USA

14. HinghamMan

HinghamMan Junior Member

I just bought a 1988 55 foot Sea Sled Yacht Yayyyyyy Please feel free to email me any and all links that may be interesting towads it to HinghamMan@aol.com I'm in Boston Mass and soon the boat will be too thanks Jimmy D.

15. William L Maris

William L Maris New Member

My Father William L Maris, Of Mt Vernon And Anacortes Wa Built 3 Different Sea Sleds And Powered Them With Cut Down 12 Cyl Aircraft Engins From Ww-1. After A Pointy Bow Speed Boat Capsized On Him And A Person Drowned
    He Found The Design For A Sea Sled In 1925 And Built His First On In The Garage In Mt Vernon Wa. Moved To Anacortes In 1926 Where He Built Two More Sleds Still Using Cut Cown 12 Cyl Ac Engins.
    His Hull Was 21 Ft Long And 8 Ft Of Beam, Open Cockpit, Would Cruise At 50+ And Was Clocked By The Uscg At Anacotes At 76 Knots In 1931 Over A 1 Mile Course.
    He Sold The Last Sled To One William Bessner Who Replaced The Engine With A Ford V-8 Truck Enging And It Would Only Go About 45 To 50 Mph, Bessner Sold That Sled To A Person At Lake Chelan Wa
    He Cut Down Liberty-hall Scott In Line Engines To 4 Cylinders, Rebored Them, Cast Pistons Of His Own Design At The Local Foundry Run By Art Richmond, Singlle Screw, Untill He Got The Best Performance From The Engine. Used Two Screws Of Different Pitch For Either Hauling Loads Or Just Cruising.
    Dad Eventually Built A Removable Cabin For Bad Weather Operations. Moved It On A 4 Wheel Trailer Made From Wrecked Automobile Front And Read Ends And Towed It With A 26 Moon Touring Car He Converted To A Pick-up.
    No Photo's Were Ever Saved That I Can Locate.
    Vr Bill Maris

DogCavalry likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.