help pkboatdesign gone

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by se wright, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Guys, an Eight-metre (class) is more than 8 metres long. Eight-metres refers to her rating under a mathematical rule. Typically they are around 48' overall, with 8.5' beam, 6.5' draft, and 850 sq. ft. of sail.

2. se wright

se wright Junior Member

pk 8 meter

Yep tad we know a 8 meter class boat is about 48 ft long pk had a design based on a 8 meter design and what we are looking for

3. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

4. se wright

se wright Junior Member

pk 8 meter

We sent a email to them 2 weeks ago no reply that was the great thing about pk. It was right there

But thanks for the info

5. CloudDiver

CloudDiver Senior Member

6. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Modern racer/cruisers don't have skegs or skeglets or bustles but they are pretty standard in modern metre boat design. Here's one by Britton Chance.

S&S87Lines.jpeg

7. se wright

se wright Junior Member

bustles

We had 3 12 meter here a couple of years ago the US 12 defender. and 2NZ. 12 you can see that little has changed near the rudder unlike keels ,sails ect.

8. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Guys, I believe to have the plans you are looking for, a set of 16 drawings. But they all read that a written consent from P.K. is required for their distribution... I took from the PK site like 2 yrs ago, they were freely downloadable for personal use. But they do have that note on them.

Now what? :confused:

Can you give me Paul Kotzebue's e-mail, so I can try to ask him a permission to hand them over to you? Perhaps I'll have more luck, though I have some doubts about it. It is true that he did leave them freely available for everyone then, but if he has withdrawn them from the internet, he might have changed his mind in the meanwhile.

Attached Files:

9. CloudDiver

CloudDiver Senior Member

Yup, that looks like the K-8 that SE Wright is looking for. I understand your concern about sharing them but realistically, they were on the internet for 'free' distribution for several years so I doubt there could be any issue with sharing them here, member to member. Now if you were to post them on your own website for free sharing that would be a different story. In any case I would like to have a copy if you are comfortable sending them at some point, however I doubt you will get an answer from Paul any time soon.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  10. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

I would like to try to contact him first. It is, above all, a matter of respect for the time the guy has spent to design a nice boat to such a professional detail.

And, by the way, the exact legal note says:
    "This drawing remains the property of Paul R. Kotzebue PE, and may not be used for any purpose without written consent".
    Meaning, you can't build from these plans without asking him first. Not what I would call a rock-solid defense against thefts, but I do understand what he intended and want to respect his will.

I have just found his contact info in internet, please stand by. Gimme a day or so, the time necessary for him to respond.

Cheers

11. se wright

se wright Junior Member

pk 8 meter

Good luck i hope he is in a better mood. Im willing to send him a suit case full of disks to download his plans all of them and figure out a way to make them avlable. They.are great designs we can't loss them

12. Jammer Six

Jammer Six Previous Member

A copyright is a copyright. Written consent is written consent. Anything else isn't. There's no gray area here.

I respect Daiquiri for taking his position, and I added to his reputation because of it.

The fact that Kotzebue used to give the plans away has nothing to do with it. If you're going to talk about what Kotzebue did in the past, you have to include the fact that he stopped giving the plans away, and that now he doesn't want to give them away anymore.

Hold the line, Daiquiri. You're absolutely right.

13. se wright

se wright Junior Member

Ah but one can always ask. The last time i spoke with him he told me about this site to find the design i was looking for. That was his design. Humm;)

14. Jammer Six

Jammer Six Previous Member

Absolutely! Asking is exactly the right course, in my opinion!

I hope he says yes, I don't have copies of the plans. I wish anyone who asks him the best of luck, and please get written permission to distribute them, including a copy for me!

15. se wright

se wright Junior Member

pk 8 meter

Nope its the 28ft pintail that paul built. Still pretty boat:cool:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.